PDA

View Full Version : Pump Vibration

spaceman1979
Sun Oct 05, 2008, 12:56 AM
Hi All,

I've just setup my new tank and it's quite noisy. I have a 4"X14'X20' with a sump filter.

I've used bioballs and sponges in the wier to slow the water down so it's a soothing trickle now, but the water pump which returns the water to the main tank is vibrating and is really annoying.

I've now moved it off the bottom of the sump and I am resting it on a sponge, but the vibration is still really annoying.

Can anyone offer and advice? The sump is currently resting on foam I thought they might reduce the vibration but no.

Thanks!

Seanyboyrulz
Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:43 PM
What kind of pump is it? some of the really cheap pumps are really loud and annoying. Thats pretty much why they are so cheap (apart from the fact that the material is cheap as well). If you want to have a really quiet pump try Eheim, Rio or Laguna pumps. Expensive but worth it if you're wanting peace and quiet.

spaceman1979
Tue Oct 07, 2008, 10:59 AM
Brand is a Resun and I'm guessing from the broken english on the packaging and the instruction manual (refers to an aquarium as a jar??) that it's poor quality.

Unfortunately it's what came with the setup. I've spoken to the supplier who is ordering in a new one, but if the advice is solid, it doesn't sound like I'll have much change and may need to spend some dollars on a decent one.

Might go with the Eheim. They claim to be silent. Can anyone here back that up with first hand advice?

Thanks!

AHC
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 09:28 PM
HAHAHAHA Jar! :lol:

Yeah anyone with an ehim pump can back them. Im running two at the moment. Very silent, sturdy, long lasting pump.

Old Dave
Sat Oct 11, 2008, 07:22 AM
Brand is a Resun and I'm guessing from the broken english on the packaging and the instruction manual (refers to an aquarium as a jar??) that it's poor quality.

Unfortunately it's what came with the setup. I've spoken to the supplier who is ordering in a new one, but if the advice is solid, it doesn't sound like I'll have much chance and may need to spend some dollars on a decent one.

Might go with the Eheim. They claim to be silent. Can anyone here back that up with first hand advice?

Thanks!

Firstly the weir. Have you considered a durso stand pipe?
Search for durso on this and other forums for great ideas.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx
PM me if you want a link to a modified version.

Secondly, the pump. I have a Resun SP-6000 on mine.
Misalignment of the impellor or air in the housing can cause excessive noise.

Make sure you have a valve in your pump outlet hose (or a hole just below tank water level) to stop water syphoning back into the sump.

HTH,

Old Dave

spaceman1979
Sun Oct 12, 2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks all for your advice. I actually found the problem.

The spray bar that I was given was too long for the tank so I cut it down. This meant though that the pump couldn't deliver all the water it was pumping which lead to pressure in the pump unit which lead to vibration.

I enlarged the holes (from 3mm to 6mm) and added another one and it has made the pump run significantly quieter.

I'll probably be adding another 6 holes over the next few days to make it quieter still and also to remove the strong current. I'm aiming to keep drawf gouramis and bettas so need to slow the current for them.

Thanks.

spaceman1979
Mon Oct 13, 2008, 01:45 AM
Having fised the problem though, I am looking to elimiate the water trickling sound and the standpipe seems like a cheap way of doing this.

Another project for the weekend! =)

Jesseboy
Mon Oct 27, 2008, 10:40 AM
A Jar....Lol