PDA

View Full Version : spawned now fighting

azza
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 07:52 AM
Why is this, after they spawn the next day they want to kill eachother. Only one wants to guard the eggs (male). What i have done is separate the breeding tank with a piece of glass.

Will the female discus look after the babies if i put them back together??? and can a single discus raise the young on their own???

Thanks

iro11a
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 11:16 AM
This also happened to me i removed the male because he was picking on the female after the fry was swimming around and she took care of the babies by herself so to answear your question yes the male will look after the fry so long as he's a good parent you should be fine mate.Good luck :)

waitaki
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:30 PM
how many times have they spawned? Maybe they need some practice, they don't always get it right first time

Hollowman
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 05:32 PM
how many times have they spawned? Maybe they need some practice, they don't always get it right first time

Yes, it can happen to new/young pairs.
Also, one parent can happily handle a batch of fry when you have to remove one.

H :)

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 08:20 AM
female proably wants to lay again, she wont do that if eggs/fry are present so she'll try and eat the eggs/fry so she can lay.

Dad wants to raise the fry so tries to kill mum everytime she goes over to eat them.

take her out and let dad raise the brood, he'll do fine on his own.