PDA

View Full Version : Sand & Plants - how does it work

TW
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 03:27 AM
Thinking of setting up a tank with just a thin layer of pool filter sand. Other than annubia & java ferns tied onto driftwood, how & what can you grow in a tank with only thin layer of sand.

Also, can java fern survive in discus temps. I have lots of broad leaf java fern & don't mind risking it by trial and error.

I don't want to risk the narrow leaf though, as I only have a few small pieces I bought from a hobbyist. Will it melt.

Any advice on how to plant this tank would be great. It's main focus will be to house my new group of wild discus in a natural sand bottom tank.

Also, I'm having a mental block on how many litres are required for an adult discus. I have tried a search, but the answer I want isn't coming up. I plan to do 2 x 50% water changes weekly.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

dthomo
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 03:34 AM
Hi TW,

Its 1 Adult to 10 gallons or 38 liters.

As for plants you could try some swords I have mine growing in sand ok.

Cheers,
Dave

fishgeek
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 06:36 AM
sand is just rather useless at having any nutrients , so if only wanting sand on the bottom then plants need feeding from something else

options include the water column
fertiliser tablets
aquatic soils in pots

andrew

TW
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks for replies.

What is a good balance between the sand not being too deep (so as not to cause the anerobic issues associated with sand) and yet deep enough to have plants, using ferts in water column & tablets near roots?

It's silica pool filter sand that I will be using.

ILLUSN
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 05:58 AM
TW your proably better off using a pot and hiding it behind the drift wood or other features in the tank, that way your plants will get what they need.

cutting plants (stem/bunch plants) will do fine in sand as they absorb all their nutrients through their leaves so these species wil do fine in sand (they'll just use their roots as support)

TW
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks ILLUSN

I will use some pots then, but only hidden at the back where unseen. In a 4ft, restricted in growth by the pot, what sword & how many would look good.

What about crypts & dwarf chain sword, with root tabs in the sand - will they work planted directly in the sand?

I am also a little confused about the whole sand becoming anaerobic when the depth is over 1" thing. I read so many bits & pieces of advice on threads here, but still am not clear if this applies to silica pool filter sand. I think some people were saying it's not the case with this sand, because it's a larger grained than normal sand. I don't know if that info is right or not. If it's right, can I safely go a deeper toward the rear ?

Another question - will discus heat melt narrow leaf java fern. I only have a few small pieces bought from another hobbyist, which I don't want to kill by trial & error?

Thanks in advance.

fishgeek
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:35 PM
an alternative to the pots is stockings with a fertile substrate in... this can be shaped and hidden , also can stick plants in where you like

i thought that sands that didnt compact , ie even particle size and rounded shape were less likely to become anaerobic

not sure though

fishgeek
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:38 PM
why cant i edit?

filter sand is made to stay moving ie not compact otherwise it wouldnt filter it would clump even in current of pumped water column

cory would easily turn over 3 cms of sot sand , they love burying themselves gill deep in it, sterbai would probably be happier in the hotter discus waters

SusieQ
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 01:16 PM
Hi TW
While I'm no plant expert...
I have had no problem growing crypts and swords in pool filter sand. Just place tab fertilizer in the sand by the roots and they are happy. The depth of the sand can be deep enough for the swords. My sand depth varies from about 1/2 inch to 3 inches.All you do is when you vacum/clean the substrate just use something like a chopstick or bbq stick to turn the sand so pockets don't develop. I've even used my python to dig down in the non planted areas to turn the sand. The plants roots will aerate the areas they are in.I've had no issues at all with nasties from the sand. You could also of course use mts (snails) or loaches to do the job. HTH Sue

TW
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 10:21 PM
thanks fishgeek & Susie Q, you've helped a lot.

ILLUSN
Fri Sep 05, 2008, 12:56 PM
any sword will grow fine in a pot I've got some 2 foot plus monsters in a 100mm pot lol.

chain sword makes cleaning the tank hard, it is a filth magnet! that being said some root ferts under the sand would do the job.

jesx57
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 06:05 AM
I have a layer of gravel on the bottom with sand on top, this way the roots can establish in the gravel. I use really fine sand, probably not recommended by other fish keepers, but it works for me.