PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Eggs

dthomo
Wed Jul 30, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hi All,

I bought the breeding setup from Jason the fish laid their first batch of eggs snice I have had them.

I didnt know about Methylene Blue until now and I think its to late the eggs look like that have a white fur covering them the parents are still looking after the eggs and havent eaten any the eggs are 5 days old now with no movement.

My question is should I clean the eggs off the pole and let them start again?

Cheers,
Dave

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 12:02 AM
get rid of the eggs, give a goos water change and they will spawn again.

dthomo
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks for that I will give them a good clean out tonight.

Hollowman
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 07:45 AM
I am not a huge supporter of using MB, I feel it is not really necessary, plus it will knock out your filter if you are not very careful. All you need are clean conditions.
Make sure you wipe down the sides of the tank with a bit of kitchen towl (paper) to remove the crud on the glass. Remove all uneaten food no more than an hour after a feed and generally just keep on top of regular water changes, and cleanliness routine.
To aid with fetilisation, when you see the fish start to make dry runs (dummy runs) turn off / down your filter if sponge type so you have minimal current within the tank. It just gives the milt more chance of doing it's job.

Like Illusn, remove the eggs if they have all gone white, no need to leave them in there, they are dead. You should see the eggs change colour (darken/eye up) after 2-3 days.

hth

Hollowman

dthomo
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks I have just cleaned the tank out and done a 150% water change see if I can do better this time.

Hollowman
Thu Jul 31, 2008, 10:41 AM
Thats good, just keep it clean and simple, its the best way :)

dthomo
Tue Aug 12, 2008, 09:39 PM
Quick update.

I took the advice and kept things cleaner they laid about 200 eggs on sunday and last night I had wrigglers so it has worked. This is the best discus forum and the advice is spot on.

Thanks heaps
Dave

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:24 AM
Congratulations Dave. That's great news.

Hollowman
Wed Aug 13, 2008, 05:36 PM
That is great news, now the real fun begins :lol:

H