PDA

View Full Version : Different strains of discus in one tank ?

Scat
Tue Jul 15, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hi :D

After getting my first 4 discus which you guys have helped me indentify properly ive seen 4 other discus at my LFS which are a stunning deep blue and are considering buying them also as they are a similar size to the ones i have currently.

These discus are completely different in colouration to my first ones LSS & Leopards.When they do get to a age where they begin to pair off will the blue ones pair off with the blue ones and the LSS & Leopards pair off together or will the blues pair off with the LSS ect (which is what i dont want)

Thanks
Craig

Hollowman
Tue Jul 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
If you were to get these fish, and they have come from the 'same system' ie where you bought your others, then adding will not be too much of a problem, although I would put them through a couple of weeks quarentine (just to be sure)
Unfortunatley, we don't always get to choose which ones we want to pair up, but, we can assess from them pairing which is which. From this we can then 'force' a pair to our liking or best match.

hth

H

Scat
Tue Jul 15, 2008, 01:36 PM
So what do you do if a blue and a LSS pair up ? Can they be re paired down the track or is the pairing permanent ?

Cheers
Craig

Hollowman
Tue Jul 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
No, you can split pairs and re-match. Sometimes takes a few weeks to get them used to eachother, but lust normally takes over in the end!! :shock:

Scat
Tue Jul 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
Cool :D Nothing wrong with fish lust !

I collected 100 peppermint bristlenose eggs tonight as a result of fish lust :D

Looks like i may go and grab those other discus soon !

Thanks for your help :D

Craig

Hollowman
Tue Jul 15, 2008, 03:11 PM
The longer you leave them, the more you need to think about Qt, if they have come from another source, ie a different breeder, strict Qt is needed. :)

H

Scat
Wed Jul 16, 2008, 10:09 AM
Ok Thanks H :D

Craig