PDA

View Full Version : Discus Tank Substrata

tomahawk
Sat Jul 05, 2008, 07:03 AM
I was wondering if black gravel in the bottom of the tank make the aquarium look more attractive and bring out the color of the Discus's better ? I currently have white gravel, and would like to change it soon. I know bare bottom tanks are good too, but that takes away the beauty of the aquarium. Was thinking of putting a thin layer of black gravel..

I have read somewhere that color of the fishes fades or deepens based on the color of the suroundings it is in. Thus was wondering..

If anyone can provide me with better ideas or expand on my idea, would appreciate it a lot.

Hollowman
Sat Jul 05, 2008, 08:06 AM
If you are going to change, change from gravel to a thin layer of sand. You only need about 1/2'' depth max, but it makes cleaning much easier as uneaten food is far more visable and faecs can be removed for the same reaon.
You asked also about colour, you are right about the fact that the fish change colour, and this effect can be quite dramatic too. If you have PB's with peppering dark features, sides, bottom will make them pepper even more. ime Also blue based fish can darken too to try to blend in.

It's up to you, whatever effect you want, but now you know what might happen. Plus, sand over gravel for me :)

hth

Hollowman