PDA

View Full Version : sick discus not eating loosing weight no signs of disease

jeff8428
Thu Jul 03, 2008, 11:19 PM
I have a 4" discus that is about 18 months old. He has stopped eating and is loosing weight fast. He used to be my most agressive eater and bullied everything in the tank. He had been trying to breed with a female in a large community tank, i moved them into a breeder tank and they layed every few days for a few months with no luck. while in the breeder tank his eating slowed down a lot. I took him oout of the breeder tank and back in the community tank and now he wont eat. it has been 2 weeks and nothing. He is getting skinny (he used to be really wide. I have dealt with several discus diseases (hex, popeye, worms etc. ) he doesn't appear to have any of these. There is no white poo or any sign of anything else. Any idea what it could be or what i should do

Fishontherun
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 03:15 AM
he's missing the sex partner for sure !! :-)

ILLUSN
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 07:03 AM
try some live food, sounds to me like he's on a hunger strike cause something has upset him, once he gets some food in his belly he'll start eating again, you just need hit to get the first mouthfull.

jeff8428
Sat Jul 05, 2008, 04:35 AM
Good News, I moved him into another tank with 5 females. Within a half an hour he was eating omega flakes, today he is eating like a horse. It is amazing. I also moved a female that was doing almost the same thing. I moved her into a tank with three males and she started eating the next morning. I just wanted to let everyone know that just because the fish aren't eating doesn't necessarly mean they have some kind of disease or parasites> I have about 40 discus and before I would move them around from time to time. After moving them around 80% of the time I have a fish that doesn't eat right or act right. I believe I have killed a few just by treating for things that they did not have wrong. Discus really do MUCH better in groups of 5 or more. If your fish are eating well and acting good leave them alone unless youare moving them to breed or unless they are being picked on to the point they will not eat. I know I have caused sever stress by moving and even losta few because of it. JUST TRYING TO KEEP ANYONE FROM MAKING THE SAME MISTAKES I HAVE. MOVING DISCUSS IS VERY STRESSFUL TO THEM AND SOMETIMES DEADLY. If I had not moved these fish back they would have starved themselves to death

Hollowman
Sat Jul 05, 2008, 08:15 AM
Great news Jeff :)