PDA

View Full Version : Moving eggs

cleo
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 04:14 AM
I have set up a breeding tank and the discus that have paired up have laid eggs again. I put 11 neons in the tank to keep the water cycling a week ago and also to quarantine them before putting them in the community tank. My problem now is can I move the rock with eggs on to the breeding tank and the parents of course and move the neons to the community tank or should I wait a few weeks to see that the neons are okay or what? Any advice greatly appreciated.

cleo
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:23 AM
Can someone answer my question please? Thanks in advance.

Hollowman
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 11:37 AM
I would leave the neos in the qt to monitor them for a while longer. The discus will lay again once you have moved them and they have settled.

Can I ask what filtration you are using in the qt tank?

Hollowman

cleo
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 12:28 PM
Just a sponge filter in a 2' tank. Started it up a week ago Tuesday with water straight out of my 6' tank and just put the neons in there from the LFS to keep the water cycling. But as I have 16 discus in my big tank I am just a little afraid to put the neon in yet and also to move the discus pair out.

ILLUSN
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'd just move the parents in and do daily changes, the pros breed with just an airstone, no filtration at all.

if you want to be really safe, fill the lift tube of your sponge filter with media from the filter of your main tank, use a rubber band a bit of old stocking over the top to stop the media from coming out and you have an instantly cycled sponge filter.

TCT76017
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 12:40 AM
I would just cycle the sponge filter in the main tank for a week and use it on the breeding tank

cleo
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 12:02 AM
Have moved the neons into the big tank, put the rock with wriggles and parents into the 2' tank did that Friday night. Sunday now and I have about 10 free swimming littlies. I am waiting to see if they attach to the parents. I did a water change yesterday and the rock fell that they were all attached to. I nearly had a heart attach. Picked up the rock and found of course that most had fallen off. Well then I just watched the parents very patiently pick them all up in their mouth and deposit them back onto the rock. They seem to be very good parents at this stage. I will remove the rock as soon as the last wriggler lets go. They have gravitated to the corner of the tank which is black will this prevent them latching on to their parents and should I find something white to put over the corner. I took some photos this mornign and will see how they turned out and put them up.

Hollowman
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 08:44 AM
Cleo, remove the rock, and lower the water level to just above the tallest parent fish, this will give the fry less room to get lost and more opportunity to find/ bump into the parents.

Good luck

H :)