PDA

View Full Version : Root Fertiliser

benkk
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 02:51 AM
Hi just wonder, what products are good to use for those plants that are highly root feeder ?

thanks

axl
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 03:42 AM
I use Aquasonic Hydrogrow, they are as good as any going around i believe, they work well.

ILLUSN
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 03:48 AM
JBL clay balls work well as do florish tabs.

you can diy a great fert with garden clay osmocote nativce plant granuals chelated iron and potasium sulphate, it work out to around 0.3c a clay ball and works just as good as any comercial fert.

benkk
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 05:15 AM
how about the Dupla root ??

barramundi
Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:25 AM
Hi All,

Illusn can you give me a more detailed description on how to make those DIY fert clay ball's.A bloke used to make them for me and i found them to be the best i've used for my planted aquariums.The thing is he passed away and never told us how to make them or the ingredients or amounts in each ball.
I have been chasing this recipe for ages and it would be a great help if you could let me and everyone else know.

Thanks John

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:41 AM
lol its really simple

take a tsp of clay from the subsoil in the garden, add in `10 granules of osmocote native plant food, a pinch of chelated iron and a pinch of potassium sulphate.

roll the whole lot into a ball and bake in the sun for a good summers day or at 60C in the oven for bout 1/2 an hour then just stick in the substrate around the plants roots.

barramundi
Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks Illusn,

How simple is that,can i get the iron and sulphate from a local chemist store.In the Townsville hot sun, the'll bake pretty quick !!

Thanks John

Munchen
Wed Dec 10, 2008, 06:41 AM
Thanks Illusn for sharing the recipe - I'm keen to start.
I have the chelated iron and native osmocote (bunnings:) Still trying to get the potassium sulphate - chemist said no, nursery says they have potash if that's what I need. Is potash what i'm after or does this include extras which may be harmful? Any other suggestions as to sourcing potassium sulphate?

many thanks

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 10, 2008, 07:58 AM
thats the stuff sulphate of potash, i get it from bunnings for bout $11

Munchen
Thu Dec 11, 2008, 01:46 AM
Excellent, thank you

barramundi
Thu Dec 11, 2008, 06:04 AM
Well i never,

I've been chasing potassium sulphate as well,never new it was potash.

Thanks again Illusn