PDA

View Full Version : McGrath Dies

Proteus
Sun Jun 22, 2008, 05:24 AM
THE wife of former Australian cricketer Glenn McGrath, Jane, has died after a long battle with breast cancer.

Jane, 42, had surgery earlier in the year and was recovering before complications set in.

Her health reportedly declined rapidly this week and she passed away with Glenn and their two children, James and Holly by her side.

"It is with deep sadness that the family and friends of Jane McGrath, beloved wife of former Australian cricketer Glenn and loving mother of James and Holly, must announce she passed away at her home this morning," a statement from Cricket Australia said.

Her cancer battle

Mrs McGrath was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996. She fought a secondary cancer in her hip and in 2006 was diagnosed with a brain tumour.

Her husband stood down from international cricket for eight months to help her recover from radiotherapy.

Along with her husband Mrs McGrath founded the McGrath Fondation after first battling breast cancer.

The foundation provides breast cancer education and breast cancer nurses for women suffering from the disease.

On the McGrath Foundation's website Mrs McGrath explained her passion for helping other women with breast cancer.

"I was only 31 when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer," she wrote.

" I feel very passionate about empowering women under 40 to take control of their health by conducting regular breast checks - early detection saves lives. "

Earlier this year Mrs and Mr McGrath were made Members in the General Division of the Order of Australia for there fundraising efforts for breast cancer research.

Best friend speaks

Mrs McGrath’s best friend and wife of Australian cricketer Michael Bevan, Tracy Bevan, was too distraught to speak yesterday.

When the Sunday Telegraph spoke to Mrs Bevan, she broke down in tears saying: "I am too distraught. I have no words…"

The cricketing wives were the best of friends and met their husbands while on holidays from England.

Mrs Bevan manages the McGrath Foundation which raises money for breast cancer nurses.

"There is absolutely nothing I can say,’’ she sobbed.

"We have put a statement out on our website and will announce funeral details later.’’

Jane McGrath has left a lasting legacy through the McGrath Foundation, an organisation that is providing thousands of women hope - and support - in their fight against breast cancer.

The McGrath Family have requested their privacy be respected at this very difficult time.

Very sad news.... deepest sympathies go to Glenn and the kids

:(

scott bowler
Sun Jun 22, 2008, 05:48 AM
aww thats sad deepest sympathies to Glen and family

Xtreme
Sun Jun 22, 2008, 09:13 AM
Tough, very tough, such an unfair and sad thing to happen, I'm sure she will be deeply missed. Our deepest condolences to the McGrath Family.

samir
Sun Jun 22, 2008, 10:07 AM
this is really sad news :(

TW
Sun Jun 22, 2008, 10:42 AM
such sad news to hear this lovely brave women lost her battle. Deepest sympathy to all her family