PDA

View Full Version : DISCUS EGGS GETTIN EATEN NEED HELP

DiscusNoob
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 10:18 AM
Just as I go to eat dinner I find that one of my discus pairs are laying eggs. I let them do what they do and after they finish laying the eggs I decide to put a mesh wire to separate the other fish from the discus pair. I think putting the mesh wire in stressed the fish and they have no eaten most of the eggs.

What should I do now?

:?

DiscusNoob

Hollowman
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 10:41 AM
It is never going to be easy to try to raise fry in a community tank, most, if they become free swimmers will be live food for the masses. Insecurity will make the parents eat the eggs, which you may have triggered.

The best solution is to move them to a seperate tank so they can be confident and do things right. This said, even doing this won't necessarily stop them from eating the eggs. An egg guard can help in this case. It might take several times before you get a batch of viable eggs which they look after.

Good luck

Hollowman

DiscusNoob
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
Alright thanks a lot Hollowman. Guess I got to wait til the next time. :(

Btw there quite small maybe around 5 inches.
Does that mean there going to be stunt?

Hollowman
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 11:43 AM
If the measurement is TL (total length) from the tip of the nose to end of the tail, then yes, they are a little small. How does the eye look? being big for the size of the fish is an indication.
However, stunting is normally an enviromental problem, linked to poor water quality, food and poor general maintenance/husbandry. This does not mean that any fry will be stunted, unless of course the genetic line is poor in the first place.
Do you have pics of the fish ?

Hollowman

DiscusNoob
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:49 AM
Here's a picture of the 2 hopefuls.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m106/ThugAngel515/P3250017.jpg

I think there are still a couple of eggs left. Well it looks like these transparent things stuck on the wall so I'm not to sure if that's it. :?

If they are eggs should I leave the parents to tend to the eggs?

Thanks for the replies again Hollowman. Much appreciated.

Hollowman
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:08 AM
They are pretty fish, but I imagine any eggs that might be left will be gone very soon. They don't bother with very small batches although they do guard 'their' laying area. I wouldn't worry too much and let them get on with it for now.
Good luck :)

DiscusNoob
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah they seem to be guarding the laying area. I just borrowed a tank from my uncle. Might put them in there and see how they go. :D

Thanks for the replies.

DiscusNoob