PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Ph.

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 05:02 AM
I need some ideas on how to lower my Ph.

Thanks

Ado

zar
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 05:35 AM
Use HCL, it's cheap and widely used. You can buy it from pool shops it'll last you a long time. You just need to experiment with how much hcl you need to get the ph right, don't experiment with fish in water i'd suggest.
Don't add hcl directly to your tank you could burn your fish with it.

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 05:59 AM
I should have mentioned that i would rather avoid using chems.

Ado

Hollowman
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 09:21 AM
Can I ask why you want to do this? What is your current Ph?

H :?:

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 11:08 AM
My Ph is about 7.4 atm.

Ado

AHC
Sun Jun 15, 2008, 11:48 PM
Without Chems = RO or rain water. You could use peat but its too varible although widely used. Peat also softens your water.
What's your KH? This will determine your water's buffering capabilties which will help with RO mixtures (or chem mxtures etc). If KH is really low (like 1) then you may want to use a lil bit of crushed coral in your filter to stabilise it should you bring the PH down low.

You can also use Co2 with a controller to stabilise it at what you want.

HTH

Hollowman
Mon Jun 16, 2008, 08:24 AM
7.4 is ok

cityguy
Mon Jun 16, 2008, 08:51 AM
7.4 is still ok, why would you like to lower it ? pH lowering products and drastically drop pH, you know that, right ? That would stress out the fishes ..

AHC
Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:02 PM
cityguy - PH lowering products are suppose to lower PH. No-one with knowledge would drastically drop PH in their tank but would slowly decrease the PH to their desired level, eradicating any stress to the fish.

Cheers

tomahawk
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 04:52 AM
AHC, I am aware that pH lowering products are "supposed" to lower pH. My only concern, which I thus mentioned to ADO, was a recent report in Chempro Magazine which states that most chemical products related to hobby aquarium has no proper quality control and specifically mentioned that pH lowering and increasing products generally brings drastic jump or drop in pH even when used as per instruction.

tomahawk
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 04:53 AM
AHC, as you had mentioned I am also aware that pH lowering products are "supposed" to lower pH. My only concern,, was a recent report in Chempro Magazine which states that most chemical products related to hobby aquarium has no proper quality control and specifically mentioned that pH lowering and increasing products generally brings drastic jump or drop in pH even when used as per instruction.

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 05:56 AM
Easy way around this problem is to age and Ph your water BEFORE it goes anyware near your tank.

get an ageing barrel, set it at the Ph you want and then do daily changes to get your tank ph down to where you want it, it will take about 2 weeks at daily changes of 15%.

nice slow drop in ph that doesn't stress your fish.

as for lowering products, I use HCL sold as concrete cleaner from bunnings, it doesn't matter what the concentration is or how fast it drops it.

just keep adding it to your ageing container bout 2ml at a time till you reach your target Ph.

NEVER ADD A PH LOWERING PRODUCT DIRECTLY TO YOUR TANK! Your asking for trouble.

cityguy
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks Tomahawk and thanks Illusn, thats what I stated too, a pH lowering product from the market isnt safe at all, they will just make the pH jump either way.

Hollowman
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 07:49 AM
I still don't see Ph7.4 as an issue here. If you have 'stable' conditions you will be fine.
What is the purpose of lowering the Ph?

H

cityguy
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 07:54 AM
True, 7.4 seems to be on the higher side of ok.. so still ok, right ?

Hollowman
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:01 AM
yep :)

AHC
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:01 PM
:) IMO, Discus like low PH, Low PH helps to keep the fish healthy with less diseases occuring. Personally - my discus have been more lively and happy with lower PH. But that aside, Ado's question was about 'how to'. Sure - 7.4 is ok but...

a pH lowering product from the market isnt safe at all, they will just make the pH jump either way. Cityguy - please dont take this the wrong way as im only curious. But where do you get your information from :?:

All in all i think its a healthy discussion and love everyones input. Ado, Tomahawk - Jothy's response is very important should you still wish to decrease PH. I always treat my water before it goes into the tank and any changes are gradually done in the careful process of water changes.

Hollowman
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 11:02 AM
AHC, I understand what you say, I keep my fish at about Ph6.4 and yes they are lively too. But if he has stable conditons why rock the boat. Lowering the Ph can have the effect of initiating a more agressive behavior as the fish in lower Ph's start to think about flirting and pairng. Not that this does not happen at a Ph7.4
I was just curious as to a reason to lower it if things are stable. :)

Hollowman

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 11:29 AM
The reason i want to lower it is that i thought it would be too high for discus. Sure a Ph outside of a fish' "happy" range will not kill it quickly but im sure it will add to its general stress level and inturn make them more prone to disease and sickness.

Ado

revkev
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 11:51 AM
You could use CO2 to lower the PH.

AHC
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 10:22 PM
AHC, I understand what you say, I keep my fish at about Ph6.4 and yes they are lively too. But if he has stable conditons why rock the boat. Lowering the Ph can have the effect of initiating a more agressive behavior as the fish in lower Ph's start to think about flirting and pairng. Not that this does not happen at a Ph7.4
I was just curious as to a reason to lower it if things are stable.

Yeah i see where your coming from and whole heartedly agree. :lol:
I guess i just didnt want you Ado (and anyone else reading), based on some other comments (not by you Hollowman), that PH lowering products/methods were dangerous and shouldnt be considered - its the process and intent that dictates one's method. Anyway enough of me talking.... :roll: :wink:

Hollowman
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 08:23 AM
No problem :wink: