PDA

View Full Version : Dry fertz -potassium nitrates??

moldyform
Fri Jun 06, 2008, 05:33 AM
Hi, Im haveing great difficulty finding a local chem shop that sells potassium nitrates.
i have found this online shop but surly it would be cheaper else where??
Has anyone got any ideas??

Cheers

fish_r
Fri Jun 06, 2008, 07:48 AM
any agricultural chemical company/farmers supplies will sell it to you.

fish_r
Fri Jun 06, 2008, 07:48 AM
or hydroponics stores should sell it too.

TW
Sun Jun 08, 2008, 12:00 PM
I get mine from a mob called Simple Grow Hydroponics on Hassall St (cnr Widemere St) Wetherill Park (Sydney) phone: (02) 9604 0469. Their website hasn't worked for as long as I've bought from them - so don't be surprised if you can't find them that way.

TW
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 09:46 PM
Forgot to say, I think they can organise to post to you, if getting to Sydney is a problem. I say this, as I asked them once if they could help a hobbyist I know in Brisbane. I think they have to either site or hold a copy of your driver's license, which you could fax to them I guess. It's all to do with ferts being ingredients in bomb making :roll:

Hope this helps.

fish_r
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 08:04 AM
potassium nitrate isn't commonly used in bomb making TW, ur thinking of ammonium nitrate. which someone off the street cant buy "u need a special licence" i think u will find it also hard for anyone to send potassium nitrate through the post as it's a dangerous goods "oxidizing agent class 5.1" and if done without a dangerous goods decleration, it highly illegal.

TW
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hi fish_r

Strange. I buy these 3 items together - KH2P04, KN03 & K2S04. Can't say for sure which one is the culprit (never having bought them separately) but they won't sell these to me without a copy of my drivers license being held. They stated the reason was bomb making, so it must be one or other of them causing the issue.

They also said told me that they would post these to a friend in QLD, if that person contacted them & provided the required identification. Whether they actually can, or did end up doing this - can't say. I haven't been back for more ferts since that visit or followed up.

I can only say that's what they told me. Perhaps they do the dangerous goods declaration. Let's hope so.

Thanks for the info.

ILLUSN
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:33 PM
potasium nitrate + sulpher + charcole = black powder (pre cursor to gun powder) however sodium nitrate works MUCH better. still shipping of potasium nitrate is not looked upon kindly.

fish_r
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:53 PM
they can send pot nitrate through the post, but as mentioned it requires a dangerous goods dec and if not done they can get in all sorts of trouble. from what iv'e read it put a large cost onto the package too and they would only be able to post limited amounts.
they might be sending it without a declecation and taking the chance ?

i work for a large agricultural chemical supplier and have some knowledge on the above "although not into bomb making"

fish_r
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
we also sell pot nitrate direct to the public/farmers IE: 25kg/1000kg bags or more and at the moment there is no ID needed to to buy the goods or chem certs etc. but there are rumors things are going to change in the near future.

TW
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 03:18 PM
Strange. Could it be different in different states? Why would they take a photocopy of my license, if they didn't have to. I don't like to think they did that without reason. They seem like nice people there.

moldyform
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 11:32 PM
potasium nitrate + sulpher + charcole = black powder (pre cursor to gun powder) however sodium nitrate works MUCH better. still shipping of potasium nitrate is not looked upon kindly.

ILLUSN do you mean sodium nitrate is much better for gun powder or for the aquarium use??

I have found this online shop which seels it. It looks a bit dear but seems to be fairly pure and there isnt many other places i could find.
Is this ok????
http://auspyro.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=29

I had a mini power blackout last night and it seemed to reset all my timers. In the process of resetting them i found to my great supprise that my two canister filters were set on the same timer as my lights!!!!! Not good. would this influnce the amount of nitrates in the water??

Cheers

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:43 AM
LOL gun powder, not for fish tanks LOL

TW
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:04 AM
If you can get simplegrow to post it to you (and who knows if they really will do so :roll: ) IMO, I still think they are worth trying. At the time, I could find no other supplier, so I have no comparative cost - but it felt cheap. At least, definitely cheap compared to Seachem (which I still use for iron, flourish & excel).

I bought my 1st batch of the 3 dry ferts around April 06, when I set up my 1st planted tank. Each fert cost around $5 or so. At that time, they didn't ask for a license or any ID at all.

I'm still using my original purchase, with plenty still left. You don't use much.

Earlier this year, I bought all 3 dry ferts for my son's tank - and that's the time they asked for my license :roll:

If you decide to give simplegrow a try, you'll have to order on the phone or in person though, as their website doesn't work.

They have it in bulk & scoop out what you need & package it up. As I was just taking it home in the car, they just weigh it up & put it in the containers I took with me.

moldyform
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:25 AM
How much did the kno3 cost?
This place has 500g for $9. not sure what the ging rate is.
http://auspyro.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=29

TW
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:51 AM
I really can't remember the individual prices, I just know it didn't feel expensive. I'm sure I walked out spending no more that $15 on all 3 - but I might be wrong. Sorry, you might just need to call them & ask them to quote you a rate for 500g.

moldyform
Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:24 PM
I saw some stats about ammonium nitrate and it has a much higher % of nitrate in it. Would this be ok in tanks?

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:46 PM
AMMONIA or AMMONIUM is a VERY VERY VERY bad thing to add to fish tanks.

moldyform
Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:48 PM
haa
i thought plants take up ammonia??
Thanks for the advice!!!!!
Ill stick with potasium nitrate.

Cheers

fish_r
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 07:50 AM
i would be very supprised if u could buy ammonium nitrate anyway.