PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia in tank

axl
Sun May 25, 2008, 03:29 AM
Hi,
i have recently just setup my 5ft planted tank and i transferred 1 of my smaller cannister onto the tank which has been running for 4 months now. There is another bigger cannister on the otherside which is new and i am finding ammonia in the tank, i just did a test and it came up with a light green colour. My question is should i get the ammonia down to 0 and then put my discus back in or should i wait a few wekks???. Cheers Axl
Is there waste going to be to much for the cannister to handle if I put 13 discus in there???

ILLUSN
Mon May 26, 2008, 12:45 AM
I'd wait till till the tank settles down before putting your discus back in there, it shouldn't take long once the 2nd canister get established.

I'b move 13 discus into a tank in 2 lots over about a month personally, just to give the filter time to adjust.

axl
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hey,
i checked my ammonia level again tnite and its a still light green colour, how long do you reckon it should take before the bacteria will break it down. cheers Axl

waitaki
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:39 AM
try and get some good bacteria from someone healthy filter to kick it in.
Make sure it is a really good source tho! Are do a search on using pure ammonia, that takes about a week or 10 days to get a clear reading. Search this site, there is a thread somewhere.
Good luck

axl
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:44 AM
thanks for the info but i ahve already got ammonia in the tank and im just waiting for the bacteria to build up enough to break it down

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:42 PM
mate it shouldn't be more than 2-3 weeks