PDA

View Full Version : Treated with Prazi now not eating...

Tracey73
Sat May 24, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hey everyone

I have just finished my 2nd treatment with prazi for tapeworms 4 days ago and my biggest bully discus has not eaten for 4 days. The first round of prazi he was fine, the second round has put him off his food. I have tried every food.. tetra flakes, live brine shrimp, live black worm, beef heart, discus deluxe, mals blackworms,bloodworm, breeders blend, NLS etc etc and he is not going for any of it. Have also added the fish tamin as well.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 6.5
Temp 30

My other three guys are fine, but my biggest fella is staying in the back of the tank and not eating at all.. any suggestions? Thanks :wink:

Matt15
Sun May 25, 2008, 06:08 AM
Tracey try soaking a dry food like Mal's blackworms in some seachem garlic guard. That might hopefully help your bully acquire his appetite back.
Fingers crossed mate....;)

Tracey73
Sun May 25, 2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks Matt, will get some seachem garlic and give it a go, I will try anything!

Tracey73
Thu May 29, 2008, 10:05 AM
My discus is still not eating, its been a week now that he has not eaten anything and I am very worried. I have tried everything.. anyone else have any suggestions as to what else I can do? :(

Hollowman
Thu May 29, 2008, 10:23 AM
I dont think this is unusal with fish to starve after treatment. Just keep offering food, but make sure you clean it out if not eaten in half an hour max.
Some fish stop eating for weeks, then just start again. It happens. If it is showing any other illness issues, maybe you could post pics so we can diagnose better for you.

hth

Hollowman :wink:

Tracey73
Thu May 29, 2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks hollowman..much appreciated.
The only other thing I have noticed is ever since I treated him with the Aquamaster fluke and tapeworm this guy has now started flicking a bit. Before the treatment he was the bully, and had the best appetite of all my discus. Ever since the follow up treatment, he has gone off his food and started flicking. He did not pass any tapeworms like two of the others did and there was absolutely no signs of flicking or anything before treatment. The other three are fine, its just him. Is it possible that the treatment has stirred up something?

cityguy
Thu May 29, 2008, 12:31 PM
I agree with hollowman, its not unusal with fish to starve after treatment so just keep offering food maybe in a bit lesser qty until you find your fish has started accepting food. Treating food at this moment with garlic and other ingrediants and then trying to feed may further put off the fish from eating..

Tracey73
Thu May 29, 2008, 12:49 PM
ok, I have been sitting here watching this discus for the last two hours.. cant blame my husband for going to bed lol.. anyway my discus is sitting on his own on the left hand side of the tank in an almost semi vertical position, he seems a bit 'bothered' tonight, breathing a little quicker than usual, his certainly not a happy chappy.. the others are fine.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ph 6.5
Temp 30

While he is hovering, he seems ok but soon as he starts to swim around the tank, he flicks and I have seen him a couple times take off and jump and jerk.. He also goes to the back of the tank whenever I approach, soon as I leave, he goes back to the front left hand side. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated..

samir
Thu May 29, 2008, 01:02 PM
any chance of pictures ???

Tracey73
Thu May 29, 2008, 01:07 PM
sorry samir, no chance of pics as my camera went for a bath courtesy of hubby a few weeks ago :roll: There are no white spots, no abrasions, eyes are clear with nice red rims, no spots of any kind. he looks fine, his just not acting it, he is definately acting like something is bothering him, he just looks a bit agitated.

cityguy
Thu May 29, 2008, 01:20 PM
Check the level of nitrate and make sure it is kept low and also watch for nitrite even at low levels I have known it to cause Discus to flick.

Also look at the hardness of the water.

There must be some form of irritant in the tank what we do not know and to be frank still don't know. It must be stirred up and sticking to the fish's mucus layer so a high chance to clear it would be to carry out a 30-50% water change and increase the tank temperature.

If you have Tetra's Blackwater Extract Liquid, add that, it would never harm your fish but take care of a lot of such problems.

I believe that there may be some form of hitch hiker that results in this flicking and I suspect these hitch hikers feed on detritus in the water column and whilst they do not feed on fish they use them as a home base. I had this same problem with my angels and flowerhorns. I have found the suspect organism in the past its name escapes me but from memeory they look like UFO's under a microscope.

Tracey73
Thu May 29, 2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks cityguy..
My water parameters have been the same for months, I find it a huge coincidence that this discus went from being totally fine to being agitated and flicking ever since I treated with Fluke and tapeworm tabs. I did a 50% water change last night and this morning he is still hovering in the left hand side of the tank. My other three discus are fine. Water parameters are the same, temp is sitting on 30.. really at a loss as to what to do here :(

ILLUSN
Thu May 29, 2008, 11:34 PM
Tracey try some live food, live brineshrimp usually does the trick

Tracey73
Thu May 29, 2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks ILLUSN but I have already tried that, I have tried everything.. I have been offering him live brineshrimp and blackworm for the past week, he will not eat anything.. I have every food possible and he just will not budge :?

ILLUSN
Thu May 29, 2008, 11:56 PM
try lowering your temp to 29 over a couple of days, see if that calms him down a little, is he being bullied? do you have any almond leaf handy? it works as a great tonic.

Tracey73
Fri May 30, 2008, 12:52 AM
No his not being bullied, the others are leaving him alone.. I do not have any almond leaf but I will certainly get some.. do I just put that in my filter and how much do I use? thanks

ILLUSN
Fri May 30, 2008, 02:18 AM
I use the miricle leaf "Tea bags" at 1 per 150L tank volume, it really helps them calm down and picks them up ALOT come feeding time. if you want i can post you some but you proably wont get it untill wednesday.

Tracey73
Fri May 30, 2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks Jothy.. I will see if I can get some over the weekend.. is this something that can only be ordered over the internet? Any suggestions as to where to get it? Thanks once again :wink:

ILLUSN
Fri May 30, 2008, 01:36 PM
some of the better aquariums especially the ones that stock high quality bettas will have it, other than taht you'll have to order from ASA or AOA

cityguy
Fri May 30, 2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks Jothy.. I will see if I can get some over the weekend.. is this something that can only be ordered over the internet? Any suggestions as to where to get it? Thanks once again :wink:

As I told you earlier, I am advising you again..Try the Tetra Blackwater Extract, they have a very good calming effect on the Discus..

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3974+4085&pcatid=4085

Tracey73
Sat May 31, 2008, 10:50 AM

As I told you earlier, I am advising you again..Try the Tetra Blackwater Extract, they have a very good calming effect on the Discus..

:shock:
Thanks for the tip but I am taking Illusn's advice being that he is a discus advisor, knows what he is talking about and has helped me successfully in the past.. thanks for telling me twice but I understood the first time :wink: