PDA

View Full Version : Cockroaches

rwel4809
Thu May 22, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hi all,

I am about to get the pest controller in to sort out the cockroaches... I'm just wondering what everyones experiences were with pest control and whether you have had any fish problems as a result??

I don't think they use an airborn spray... I think they just spray right in the corners of the room and put that gel stuff in the kitchen and bathroom.... do you think its reasonable to ask them to guarantee that no harm will come to my beloved fishes???

Robert

ILLUSN
Thu May 22, 2008, 11:50 PM
i had a poisoined roach wipe out most of my fry raising tank when the damn thing fell in.

rwel4809
Thu May 22, 2008, 11:59 PM
i had a poisoined roach wipe out most of my fry raising tank when the damn thing fell in.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

what type of poison were you using?

ILLUSN
Fri May 23, 2008, 01:13 AM
I was using mortein and bayer baits (the bayer ones work better on the little german roaches)

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15313&highlight=

Hollowman
Fri May 23, 2008, 07:20 AM
I would cover the tanks very well for the time that the pest controller is there, and open the windows afterwards to vent any airborn poison.

H

rwel4809
Fri May 23, 2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I will definately cover the tanks well as you suggest. And Hope that no cockroaches find their way in on their way to the pearly gates.....

R

Matt15
Sat May 24, 2008, 07:27 AM
I kept large fancy goldfish before keeping Discus. I had about $400 worth until we had both floors of the house treated. Slowly each of the goldfish died and there was little I could do.
The part which really fustrated :banghead me was the pest man contacted my wife and treated the house two days early. The air pumps weren't turned off and the tank wasn't even covered.

Also my dad lost his pride and joy discus to a cockaroach. The silly thing was, he used to feed them to his discus all the time. I think that was the last cockaroach to finish in his fish tank.

Mattzilla
Sat May 24, 2008, 09:57 PM
i got my place sprayed not long ago. i did the following

Covered all tanks well with plastic sheet

Turned off all air pumps

Gave the pest control guy strict instructions about staying away from my tanks

Opened the windows for a long time after spraying

I didn't have any problems

hth
matt

rwel4809
Sun May 25, 2008, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the warnings and advice...

I think I will have to proceed with extreme caution...

R

gro
Fri May 30, 2008, 07:55 AM
nice fish btw

rwel4809
Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:57 PM
It has taken me 6 months to organise it, but I finally had my place sprayed for roaches...

I ended up using a company called Bugz, and I can recommend them to others living in Sydney. The guy who sprayed my place kept Lake Malawi ciclids and so was knowledgeable about fish and very careful around my tanks.

I also covered my tanks with towels, turned off the air pumps and left the balcony doors open for ages after... They sprayed last friday and so far the only casualties are cockroaches.

I'm not sure if this breaks the rules but I don't think these guys are in competition with any of our sponsors so here are their details:

Bugz Pest Control
PO Box 689
Cronulla NSW 2230
02 9522 2333

R

Happy Little Fishy
Sat May 07, 2016, 02:08 PM
:( had house sprayed, tanks covered etc... All 13 tanks were good no casualties... Not even the cockroaches. Kitchen and laundry cleared of them but still safe and sound near fish tanks. Help,,,,,:?::?::?:

bellason
Sat Feb 26, 2022, 10:55 AM
Hi all,

I am about to get the pest controller in to sort out the cockroaches... I'm just wondering what everyones experiences were with pest control and whether you have had any fish problems as a result??

I don't think they use an airborn spray... I think they just spray right in the corners of the room and put that gel stuff in the kitchen and bathroom.... do you think its reasonable to ask them to guarantee that no harm will come to my beloved fishes???

Robert

They don't guarantee but you can do one thing whenever you use pesticides inside you ought to constantly: Cover or eliminate bird enclosures and fish tanks, and migrate different pets prior to utilizing spray (shower) pesticides. Numerous pesticides are incredibly harmful to birds and fish. ... Leave the room while the pesticide (like fly splash) is producing results.

tieumyxinhdep
Fri May 26, 2023, 09:19 AM
Hi all,

Robert

Hi all,

tieumyxinhdep
Fri May 26, 2023, 09:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of arranging pest control services to address a cockroach issue in my place. I wanted to hear about your experiences with pest control and if any of you have encountered problems with your fish after the treatment?

From what I understand, they don't use any airborne sprays. Instead, they focus on spraying the corners of the rooms and using gel substances in the kitchen and bathroom. Do you think it would be reasonable for me to request a guarantee from the pest control company to ensure the safety of my beloved fish during and after the treatment?

Looking forward to hearing your insights and suggestions.

Best regards.