PDA

View Full Version : cabinet colour's

AHC
Mon May 19, 2008, 02:04 AM
Hi,

Just wondering what colour people's tank cabinets are and do you wish you had it another colour. i want to get a new cabinet in the next few weeks and i still cannot decide. I was initally thinking a nice dark brown stain or black. Its for a discus tank with a black background. But now im thinking white - My reason for white is because it will have a tallish hood (bottom cabinet will be tall too) to house metal halides and i really dont want the viewing focus to be on the big dark cabinet. If the cabinet is white then hopefully it will blend in with the white wall, right? So confused. WHen i think white though i think it may look tacky?

Help me decide. :(

ILLUSN
Mon May 19, 2008, 03:04 AM
mine are all pine or treated pine (what can i say the stuff is cheep).

in an ideal world I'd like a nice black, or a deep walnut cabinate with a high gloss finish.

i think white is a little tacky unless its pristine white adainst a pristine white wall, in such a case i think it would look almost invisable, but then again given a few months of dust and water it wont look that "pristine" anyway.

AHC
Mon May 19, 2008, 03:19 AM
My thoughts exactly. Its just i dont like having the high hoods as i think they detract from the tank. I guess i will just stick to a nice dark colour and hope it doesnt make the tank look too small. Ive included a picture that i was playing with as an interest. (not my house) :lol:

thanks jothy

AHC
Mon May 19, 2008, 03:20 AM
My thoughts exactly. Its just i dont like having the high hoods as i think they detract from the tank. I guess i will just stick to a nice dark colour and hope it doesnt make the tank look too small. Ive included a picture that i was playing with as an interest. (not my house) :lol:

thanks jothy

Merrilyn
Mon May 19, 2008, 04:42 AM
Silver looks good if you want something to blend in. It's not all that expensive to have it professionally spray painted by an automotive painter.

Make some enquiries at panel shops in your area.

AHC
Mon May 19, 2008, 04:51 AM
Thanks Merrilyn - another colour added to my indecisiveness. I do like the look of Taksan monster. Im going through extreme and they use dalbarb cabinets. They have a silver but its not the high gloss you get with the car paints. I think when i go to pay for it i might try and see if i can see some samples. Make my decision then. Im over thinking the colour but i do want to be happy with it too. :roll:

Matt15
Mon May 19, 2008, 06:29 AM
Aaron i've got timber floors so i've always gone the treated pine look although my 5 footer i'm yet to finish staining. I ended up picking a gloss mahogany but haven't found the time to finish it.

I gotta admitt that some of those gloss black tanks look awesome if in the right coloured room. I've personally considered silver finishes to look cheap... mainly cause it reminds me of those chipboard stands.
Also too gloss stains showup everything. Dust, scratches markings.... you name it but look awesome if kept clean.

Xtreme
Mon May 19, 2008, 11:06 AM
We have samples to show you, and when you come in, remind me to call them to see how glossy they can do it, if thats what you want :)

New address to, just incase you dont know:
34 Box Rd Caringbah

Cheers

AHC
Mon May 19, 2008, 11:49 PM
Fantastic. Thanks guys. Im leaning towards black still - i think having a high cabinet so the tank is head high will eliminate the bulkiness of the hood. Bec/Wayne, I will be in either this weekend or next weekend. Looking at samples will help me choose so thanks a million. :cheers :wave2