PDA

View Full Version : How many discus in a 50 gallon tank..

cityguy
Tue May 13, 2008, 04:40 AM
A friend of mine is interested in Discus for some time now.. he has a 50 gallon established tank, and plans to keep 6-7 numbers of 2inch Discus in it. Is the number ok or can he put in some more..?

I have suggested him to put 5 x 3inch Discus in the tank, or 5 x 4inch..

He also plans to do 10% water change every day, while I suggested him 25-30% per week, so as to not stress the fishes every day with water change formalities..

Experts advice please.. 8-)

zar
Tue May 13, 2008, 04:52 AM
Don't want to be rude but how about using the search function of this forum as this question has been answered a million times.
Apart from that your question is quite vague, how long does he want to keep them in there for, if he grows them out the guideline is 10g per adult discus.
And i think he'll be better of doing 10% a day then 25-30% a week.

cityguy
Tue May 13, 2008, 05:06 AM
Don't want to be rude but how about using the search function of this forum as this question has been answered a million times.
Apart from that your question is quite vague, how long does he want to keep them in there for, if he grows them out the guideline is 10g per adult discus.
And i think he'll be better of doing 10% a day then 25-30% a week.

No one is asking you (or rather say forcing you) to answer here.. there are much more senior people and more experienced people here in this forum who not only answers me very professionally, but also keeps their ego out of the way. Its because I did not had the exact answer after the search, I asked the question..

zar
Tue May 13, 2008, 05:52 AM
I'm still sure you could have figured out the answer by reading a couple of old posts on here. My answer has nothing to do with my ego, i just thought that there was enough info on here about your question thats all.
I still think you left out a fair bit of info for this question to be answered correctly. But anyway, you can wait for an expert to answer you professionally as you said.

cityguy
Tue May 13, 2008, 05:55 AM
Sure.. and thanks anyway

yakfisho
Tue May 13, 2008, 07:15 AM
If he intends to see the discus reach adulthood (and one would hope he does) follow the 10 gallon per discus rule as stated in a previous post. They will be much happier once they are bigger. Water changes will depend on other factors too but to happy, healthy and growing strong I would not do only 1 water change a week. I dont think daily water changes would be a bad regime at all.

Hollowman
Tue May 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
Is the tank going to be planted or BB ?

When you say 'established' what exactly does this mean? what are the parameters and what other fish does he already have in there? Does he have a QT tank?

Lots of questions but it will help to give us a better idea. Even in an established tank, adding a number of fish that create a lot of waste can upset your filters and give problems.

hth

Hollowman :wink: