PDA

View Full Version : BREEDING DISCUS

fishhouse
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Guys

I have 9 adult discus about 2-3 year olds in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank,2 x eternal canister filters, temp at 30, ph 6.6-6.8, i do about 40-50% water change every 2nd day. I feed them 6 times a day ( tetra bits,blood worms, beef heart & brim shrimp) , i age my water for 48hrs with prime,heater in ageing tank at 27 and air stone.

tank is in my bedroom so not much traffic & they are so bright and active and happy, always wanting to eat. The problem is there is no sign of pairing up, i had them for about 8 months in my tank...why wont they pair up & breed?

please help

Thankyou

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
Your tank and feeding and water changing sound perfect, but I wonder if the fish may be older than you imagine.

Did you buy them as adult fish?

Peak breeding age for discus is between 10 months and 3 years. After that, they spawn only infrequently.

You may have a tank full of beautiful display fish who will live for another ten years or so.

If you really want to breed, you need a whole different set up.

fishhouse
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
thanks for your reply,

im pretty sure no older then 3 year old discus, cd size

what kind of diff set up you mean i need to get them breeding?

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:47 PM
you'll need a bare bottom tank someware between a standard 2foot and a 2x2x2, a sponge filter some kind of breeding object, a massive supply of good aged clean water. plus you'll lose all your free time.

Jonnywhoop
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 11:43 PM
there can still be a slight possibility that all your discus could be all one gender. idk just a thought

Hollowman
Tue Apr 29, 2008, 07:24 AM
You could try dropping the temp of the tank by 2 degrees for a week. Do they have a cone or something to clean to lay on? Can you post pics of each fish (side on) so we can assess if they are male or female for you, might be worth setting up a breeder tank for a likely pair.

Hollowman