PDA

View Full Version : Hi every one I'm a old fellow from brisbane

easty1
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 07:18 AM
H i every one I'm getting back in the scene after a 10 year lay off .I've just purchased a aqua one 99cmx48cmx60cm tank and cabinate in a two pot white finish and wonder if any of you have had any reports of them either good or bad and how suitable are they for discus keeping and stocking rates (i plan to restict my self to discus and a shoal of cardinals )I have no plans of breeding I just want a well planted show tank for the office

Easty1 (mick)

discuslover
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the forums pop and oh thanks for letting me know about your new tank

easty1
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 08:50 AM
As forum members will realise (discuslover) is my son in sydney who is directly responseable for reigniteing my interest in discus and his mum is not well pleased :lol:

scott bowler
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 09:07 AM
hehe welcome to the forum Mick,
we will be needing to see pics of the tank as it comes a long hehe as simon will tell you ,
hope you have a good read here heaps has changed in the last 10 years when it comes to keeping discus hehe it easier lol.

Matt15
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the forums Mick.

Sorry mate I don't know anything about AquaOne tanks but i'm sure somebody can offer some advice.
Do you know what model it is? AquaOne have about amillion different styles of tanks thats all, some with bow fronts others without.
How many litres does it hold?
You can determine your tanks stocking levels by its water volume + filters + water changes.

Besure to post some pics once you get things started....;)

easty1
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks all for the wellcome and yes things have changed over the years for the better I might add but not including prices :roll:
Mat the tank is a bow front 1mtr long 1/2mtr wide and 2/3 mtr high or in old money 42ins long 18ins wide 24ins high which is a 215/220 ltr capacity it has its own built in filter with a turnover of a 1000 ltrs a hour allthough I'm thinking of boosting it with a 1000ltr per hour O/S canister filter as well (the old addage you cant over filter)
I'm planing to do a photo history of the tank as it evolves , Mainly to documents my mistakes as well as successes and I will post as I go along

easty1 (mick)

taksan
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:16 AM
A AR980 is a excellent tank for some discus and a few cardinals I usually add a 2217 with a 36w UV and run it together with the top filter. I find seachem pond matrix to be the best media for top filters and its easy to add any chems in the top too.

AHC
Sun Apr 06, 2008, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the forum mick,

Hope the mum doesnt bring you down to much. :lol:

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:41 PM
Welcome to the forum Mick. You're off to a great start with that tank.

Work on 40 litres per adult discus and you can't go wrong.

Four or five discus and a nice shoal of cardinals will look great in that planted tank.

easty1
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 06:47 AM
tank so far ,Substate in (not enough) one lonely piece of drift wood filled with water and the filter cycling

easty1
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 06:59 AM
The start of a successful tank I'm looking forward to the months ahead seeing it evolve into something beautiful
At the moment its just a lonely piece of drifl wood but as my old apprentice master years ago said to me "make haste slowly as patience is the crafts mans best attribute" :)

easty1
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:01 AM
picture front on the cabinate shows up a lot whiter in the photo than in fact it is

Matt15
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 08:32 AM
Things are looking good so far.
I've got a few pieces of driftwood lying around if your interested mate. Just send a PM or e-mail matt15@bigpond.net.au Pickup would be from Chermside

scott bowler
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 08:34 AM
looks good mick