PDA

View Full Version : glass cleaning fish that is safe for discus

clinny_d
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 01:34 AM
hey (its been a long time since iv posted)
but i was wondering, is there a type of fish that would be considered a good glass cleaning fish, that is safe for discus. i know people say use bristle nose but i found that they get lazy in the glass cleaning department and dont really clean it after a while.

could you suggest some species?

cheers

Mr Discus
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 01:52 AM
Maybe try some Whiptails, or Plecos depending on your tank size.

I have 2 Whiptails and as soon as the light goes out every night, they go to work instantly and start climbing the glass on the tank like crazy.

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 06:14 AM
whiptails are much lazier then bristlenoses (I've got close to 20 of them), best thing is a sponge once a week.

clinny_d
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 08:32 AM
heyhey
thanks for the info, does anyone have any more species that would be good?

the prob about my fish tank is that its in a really bad spot for a sponge. i used to have Chinese sucker fish (or something like that) but i was told they will suck the mucus off the discus which will cause both infection and no food for baby discus.
cheers

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm about to try some ottos.

I've heard that a few of them do develop a liking for discus slime & have to be removed, but it happens infrequently enough that I'm willing to give it a go.

albatrozz
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 11:11 AM
yeah there's so much rumours about suckerfish and their ability to suck on the sides of your discus. I myself have kept 2 BN's and 2 20cm+ sailfin pleco's with discus. Never had ANY problems with them on my discus, as soon as the lights are turned off, i just go get a torch about an hr later and i always see them sucking on the glass. My experience is plecos and BN's dont bother discus and discus don't bother them.

dinodane
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hi.

I keep a sailfin pleco (about 15 cm long) in my tank also. I've been told it is not a good company for discus because they might suck the discus slime. My discus are juvenile now and the pleco does not bother them, so according to your testimonies is it ok to leave the pleco with them, right?

Thank you.

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 11:44 AM
Um, it depends on the individual fish. It is a risk, I'm not advocating that other people do this, just saying that I'm going to try, and if there's a problem I'll pull them out.

I've heard that once they get a taste for the slime that's the only solution. I can't imagine an otto could make a fatal wound on an adult discus in one night, so I'm hoping I'd notive before they're harmed too much if it is a problem.

TW
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 11:57 AM
I have ottos with my discus & they have never bothered the discus at all.

albatrozz
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hi.

I keep a sailfin pleco (about 15 cm long) in my tank also. I've been told it is not a good company for discus because they might suck the discus slime. My discus are juvenile now and the pleco does not bother them, so according to your testimonies is it ok to leave the pleco with them, right?

Thank you.

Look i can't guarantee you that they willl not suck on your discus, but IME they don't. Give it a go and if they're trouble take them out.

the_oracle
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 02:18 AM
I have some corys in the tank to help clean the walls and also help clear away fine food particles..
so far no problem with my discus.........

Sanie.

JoeDiscus85
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 10:46 PM
I had a plecostamus and it cleaned the glass but also cleaned the slime coat off of my discus!!! It stressed my disus so much that i gave him away to my brother inlaw. I replaced him with 2 cory cats and 1 java loach and its been heaven ever since.

Joe

cityguy
Tue May 06, 2008, 12:16 PM
What about Siamese Algae Eaters ? They are good.. and they wont hurt the Discus..is it ? :roll:

Nitecongt
Wed May 07, 2008, 01:10 AM
I have a couple of BN's, they do a fantastic job. no trouble with the discus if you give them some wood to suck on.

and some of the big golden snails, but they will die very quickly if their isnt enough to eat. i suggest keeping khuli loaches for when they do die as they clean up real well.

cityguy
Wed May 07, 2008, 04:35 AM
I have a couple of BN's, they do a fantastic job. no trouble with the discus if you give them some wood to suck on.

and some of the big golden snails, but they will die very quickly if their isnt enough to eat. i suggest keeping khuli loaches for when they do die as they clean up real well.

Kuhli and Clown loaches are strict NO NO, they damage the Discus skin very fast.. just watch a school of loaches carefully in a Discus tank and you will know..

MFG
Thu May 08, 2008, 11:31 PM
i have a couple of kuhli loaches but they hid in holes. hence, no harm to my discus.