PDA

View Full Version : more metro

aquaholic
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 07:50 AM
hi all
i have been treating a fish which has got the white poos and not eating with metro for ten days and the fish has not responded at all and was wondering wether i should up the dosage.

cheers andrew

fishgeek
Tue Feb 19, 2008, 08:15 AM
what dose are you using?
what about the rest ot the water parameters

maybe look at faeces with microscope or get someone else too

aquaholic
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:36 AM
thanks fish geek
definetly still white jelly poos.i have been dosing at 250mg for 10lt with 48hrs intervels.30% water changes at the same time. 30 dg temp and 6.5 ph. i have noticed that the recomended dose rate has changed since i last used metro from the 250 to 40lt with 8 hour intervels.not sure why but whatever is best.

fishgeek
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:46 AM
metro 25mgs/litre permanent bath is what i have always read, then i have only kept fish for the past 6 yrs

so that fits with your 250/10 litres

if you did the lower dose yes i would repeat
if you have already done at current correct dosing then maybe you need to revise the cause of mucoid stools

ideally microscopy gives you the best chance to visually see parasites

andrew

aquaholic
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:56 AM
thanks again andrew
like you say under the microscope sounds best but trying to find a vet who would know what to look for could be difficult(they dont seem to know much about fish). i don't know of other dieases that produce white poos but if you do or any body else does that would be a good place to start.
cheers andrew

fishgeek
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 02:41 PM
white poo is because of increased mucous production by the irritated bowel cells

this can happen fro many reasons
typically stated for fish(discus or cichlid's in particular)

[list]protozoa - as you are attempting to treat
[list]worms both nematodes and cestodes, these may be treated with products like levamisol and praziquantel
[list]bacteria or viruses
food intolerances(think you last really hot curry and the after effects)

obviosuly i cant format that? anyone know how to?

most of this comes from mammalian medicine , and the reason vets know so little about fish is that there is little call for them to know anything about fish, catch 22 really

maybe try a local fish shop that knows how to use a microscope, a friwnd you is at uni? studying microbiology/parasitology, a medical worker that use's a scope
a vet that may want to look, another experienced hobbiest

the worst that can happen is you only know as much as you do right now

fishgeek
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 02:43 PM
some of the more experienced keepers here suggest using very low pH to help eliminate protozoal infections aswell as the metro

andrew

aquaholic
Thu Feb 21, 2008, 10:31 AM
shall try lowering the ph and maybe some worming treatments. so frustrating to watch a fish stop eating and slowly waste away cause if only they would eat you could medicate them so much easyier.
cheers andrew