PDA

View Full Version : urgent help please.

ivo
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
i would appreciate very much if anyone can help one of my favorite discus. it was perfectly normal last night but this morning it is swimming at the bottom of the tank with head facing down. it is almost swimming like 45 degrees. there is no colour change on the body or eye, breathing seem normal with both gills, no scratching on object or dashing around. fins are clamped halfly. it normally eats like a pig but now stops eating. it is crying for help and i don't know what to do. all water parameters are normal, no ph or temperature shock. all other discus are behaving normal except this one. no new fish added in the past month. the only one thing new is i tried feeding them with a natural dry food pellets and this sick discus loves it. there is no swelling on the belly so it doesn't look like this new dry food expands in stomach and made it sick. other discus ate this new pellets too and seem fine.

how can i save this discus? any urgent life saving advice would be mostly appreciated. thank you. ivo.

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 02:24 AM
Ivo it sounds like your fish has pigged out on this new food and has a bit of a belly ache.

You can help him by adding some Epsom Salts to the water, one teaspoon per 40 litres of water. It will ease the constipation and help the food to move more quickly through the intestine.

ivo
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 05:02 AM
thank you so much merrilyn. i just got home and was running around aquarium to look for a cure. it did eat a lot of this new pellet food in the past three days. i will follow your instruction to add salt. do i need to repeat the treatment? is it life threatening? again, thanks heaps.

samir
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 05:22 AM
i will follow your instruction to add salt.

epsom salt (magnesium sulphate)

ivo
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:44 AM
thank you samir. i don't think i will feed them with these pellets again. hopefully it will poo it all out!