PDA

View Full Version : spread of disease to new fish

arjones
Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:33 PM
I have recently had problems with my discus after adding a new discus.
Im not sure what it was, my lfs seems to think it was flukes but symptoms looked like plague. One discus also has some dimples around his mouth which i think could indicate hex :? . I aquired various treatments but only actually treated with wormer plus.

Anyway my discus is improving and getting better :D (touch wood) and because i lost half my stock i want to get a few more but not sure how long to wait, whether the new discus will be able to catch anything even if my existing ones have fully recovered. If sum1 could advise me on introducing new fish under these problematic circumstances it would be gr8

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't introduce any new fish to your system for a good 3 months.

this will give you time to review and fix your current problem and give the fish a chance to get over any residual stress caused by the infection.

if it was plague, the bug is airborn and can jump from tank to tank, I've had it infect 2 tanks 8meters apart, when no common equiptment was used.

when you get your new fish quarentine them in a separate tank and observe closly, treat for worms, flukes and hex as needed before introducing them into your main tank.

arjones
Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:52 PM
k thanks. If it was plague surely only wormer plus wouldn't cure it would it?
If it was only flukes do u think it would be safe to add discus after a month of my current discus fully recovering

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah if it was just flukes they'll be fine, still quarentine the new one though

arjones
Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah i will. I'll probably get them from a really reliable supplier this time after this incident. going to give them lil time to fully get over it though hopefully it won't go back down hill. thanks 4 help