PDA

View Full Version : I have Eggs!!!

dntx5b9
Tue Dec 18, 2007, 03:22 PM
Wow! I just discovered eggs stuck in back wall of my 90G tank. I had two guys always go each other in the tank, so those two fighting wasn't anything new, but this mornig, a third gal (i presume :D ) was in the mix and picking at the biggest guy (my avatar) and ganging up on him. So, went to take a closer look, and there were eggs. :) They were still fighting, but I had to leave for work. Now, the eggs are pretty close to the intake of AC110, will they get sucked in? Also, if they do hatch, will they make it? Just wondering. I got both of them in March at 2.5". I've had african cichlids breed all the time in my tank, but this is my first discus spawn. I am very excited. Here is the pic of proud pop. Notice the ragged fin from battling the big boy in the tank. :)

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1619

Pic of mom few months ago. She is the one on top.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1468

Unfortunately, lost the guy at the bottom. One of my many losses. :(

dntx5b9
Tue Dec 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
Well, came back from work and the eggs are gone. I guess someone ate them.

Merrilyn
Wed Dec 19, 2007, 10:19 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss of the eggs, but it's pretty normal for them to eat their first few batches, especially if they are a young pair.

Let them spawn a few more times in the community tank, till they learn how to defend their eggs and become better parents.

In a month or so you can move them into a spawning tank and hopefully raise their first batch of fry.

dntx5b9
Wed Dec 19, 2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Merrilyn! I was disappointed, but not upset about the eggs. I really don't have any intention of breeding discus. I just want to keep them happy and healthy. We will how the two do going forward. However, is there any chance that a pair of discus can successfully spawn and raise fry in a community tank? There are two other adult discus and bunch of other community fish.

samir
Wed Dec 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
bit hard for a pigeon blood pair, i've seen a picture of a wild green somewhere with 20 odd fry.

dntx5b9
Tue Dec 25, 2007, 03:03 PM
The same pair laid eggs again. :) A Christmas morning surprise. Will see what happens to this batch.

Merrilyn
Wed Dec 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
Even if the eggs vanish again, rest assured in the knowledge that you must be doing lots of things right.

Only happy healthy discus will spawn, and your's are telling you they're very happy with the conditions in the tank :P

dntx5b9
Wed Dec 26, 2007, 07:27 PM
I hear you, Merrilyn. I hope to keep them happy and healthy for a long time. Thanks for the kind words.

dntx5b9
Wed Jan 16, 2008, 09:30 PM
OK, after a couple of more batches of eggs, the pair moved the location to the side of the tank (away from the filter intake :) ) and have been fiercely protecting the newest batch of eggs. It has been three days now. Is it at all possible to have any of these eggs, if they hatch, survive and make it in the tank without any intervention on my part?

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:24 PM
in a planted tank like taht with all those other fish, I dont like your chances.

dntx5b9
Thu Jan 17, 2008, 03:17 PM
Eggs have started hatching and the parents moved them to a different spot in the tank. They are still stuck on the glass, but I think they will be free swimming soon. Pretty cool!

SusieQ
Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hi... Congrats on the eggs/wrigglers etc... just don't be too disapointed if they get eaten.
I have a proven pair now in my 120 semi planted with 6 other semi adult discus and 2 bn. The pair spawns regularly on either Wed or Fri evenings. They have done this about 6 times so far... The last 2 times they got to free swimmming... and like yours they moved them from the filter inlet tube to the back wall of the tank before they became free swimmers... Each time they became better and better at parenting.. They will dash across the entire length of the tank to ward off a "tresspasser"... none the less.. this last time the free swimming babies were eaten during the night.
I think the only way you can have the babies survive is to pull the pair into a breeding tank and go from there.. Mine are also pigeon blood (Gold Masters) and because the adults are so light colored (golden/orange with white spots and black tails) I think that makes it even harder in a planted tank for them to find their parents to feed from as there are darker objects in the tank than the parents and the babies look for the darkest object as the parent.. So if not eaten, they might also starve..
That said... I'm gonna let them keep trying as there are 2 others laying eggs in the tank as well and I love watching the parenting behavior but don't have room for a complete fry raising setup right now. They aren't like my angels that would kill when mating.. so everone just has to learn to keep their distance for awhile.. that they can handle and so can I.
It really is fun to watch them "protect" their turf and their young. Have fun with them.... Sue

SusieQ
Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:32 PM
Hi... Congrats on the eggs/wrigglers etc... just don't be too disapointed if they get eaten.
I have a proven pair now in my 120 semi planted with 6 other semi adult discus and 2 bn. The pair spawns regularly on either Wed or Fri evenings. They have done this about 6 times so far... The last 2 times they got to free swimmming... and like yours they moved them from the filter inlet tube to the back wall of the tank before they became free swimmers... Each time they became better and better at parenting.. They will dash across the entire length of the tank to ward off a "tresspasser"... none the less.. this last time the free swimming babies were eaten during the night.
I think the only way you can have the babies survive is to pull the pair into a breeding tank and go from there.. Mine are also pigeon blood (Gold Masters) and because the adults are so light colored (golden/orange with white spots and black tails) I think that makes it even harder in a planted tank for them to find their parents to feed from as there are darker objects in the tank than the parents and the babies look for the darkest object as the parent.. So if not eaten, they might also starve..
That said... I'm gonna let them keep trying as there are 2 others laying eggs in the tank as well and I love watching the parenting behavior but don't have room for a complete fry raising setup right now. They aren't like my angels that would kill when mating.. so everone just has to learn to keep their distance for awhile.. that they can handle and so can I.
It really is fun to watch them "protect" their turf and their young. Have fun with them.... Sue

dntx5b9
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Wrigglers are eaten. Oh, well ... May be next time will go to the free swimming stage.

scott bowler
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 12:13 AM
keep trying dntx5b9
it will happen again, and again, good luck

samir
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
Wrigglers are eaten. Oh, well ... May be next time will go to the free swimming stage.

you will not have any success unless you move them to a breeding tank, maybe a low single digit number if you're very lucky.

dntx5b9
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 03:08 PM

you will not have any success unless you move them to a breeding tank, maybe a low single digit number if you're very lucky.

That's fine. I am not trying to breed Discus. But it would be cool to see some survive. If not, then so be it.