PDA

View Full Version : Sick?

thebeaunes
Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:03 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but not new to discus keeping. My problem is that I have a pair of pigeon bloods that I aquired recently (about 2 months ago). They were spawning every 6 days...although they always eat the eggs. :cry:
About 2 weeks ago I noticed that the male was no longer eating. He swims fine, color is great, behavior is otherwise fine. I still have not seen him eat and I have tried to watch for long periods of time from a distance and he still does not seem to eat anything...I've tried beef heart, flakes, pellets, frozen blood worms...he doesn't eat any of it. Since I noticed this they have not had another spawn in almost 14 days.
Is he sick? I have never had a fish just quit eating for no reason and show no other signs of illness.
Can anyone help?
Water quality is great...30% water changes every 3 days, 0 Ammo, 6.0 pH, temp 30 C

ILLUSN
Sun Dec 02, 2007, 10:11 PM
How are his stools? have you wormed him?

thebeaunes
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 06:11 AM
His stools seem normal, but no I have not wormed him. I am unsure on what to use

Merrilyn
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:50 AM
Are you saying that he hasn't eaten anything in 2 weeks? That's a fairly long time for an otherwise healthy fish.

Is it possible he's eating something while you're not looking? If he's still got black droppings, or for that matter, any kind of droppings, then he must be eating something even if it's only a very small amount.

Can you get hold of some live food, either daphnia, brine shrimp or blackworms. Very few fish can resist live food wriggling right under their nose, and often that's enough to restart their appetite.

What part of the world are you living in? We may be able to recommend some worm treatments that will be available locally.

thebeaunes
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 06:13 PM
He may be eating when I am not looking, although I have been watching quite intently and have seen nothing. I actually did notice that his stool is white, which I'm sure indicates worms, but I live in California and am not sure where to get the meds or which ones to use.
Have successful treatements been done....everytime you read about a sick fish, usually the pet owner says they eventually die and I really do not want that to happen.
Please help if you can

samir
Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:26 AM
buy yourself some metronidazole, and follow Mez's instructions blindly and it wont die.
two weeks is a long time, you need to ask for help much sooner than that (for future reference) :P