PDA

View Full Version : potassium permanganate

gypsy3
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 03:42 AM
hi...can someone give me a simple answer for dosing?i'm confused by all the different ppm m/gram thing. i' want to treat a fish thats in a quarantine tank at the moment.it would be in 30 l of water.say using a teaspoon as a measurement, how much wouild i add? or if i have to put in a smaller container for a quick bath, again, using tspoon as measure, how much per say 10 litres?

fishgeek
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 08:18 AM
potassium permanganate has very wide dosing applications
from 2mgs/litre as a permanaent bath
upto 100mgs/l as a short 5 minute dip
organics in the water are rapidly oxidised by permangante and utilise the medication so that pathogens are thne not treated , so organic load makes dosing variable too

someone else with more practical experience will guide you, i just wish to point out that dosing in teaspoons is fraught with potentail pitfalls
it is not acceptable as an accurate calculation

weights are not all the same per volume, density plays some factor
so not all teaspoons of powder will actually weight the same
that is why dose's are give in mg's of the actually substance wanted(parent solutions will varying in strength, or concentration) hence i teaspoon of x may not always contain the same number of mg's

with permanganate you want to achieve a light pink colour to the treatment water, that satys for 24hrs
if the colour turns brown quickly then you have utilised the oxidative power on orgnaics within the water and more maybe needed

it depends on what you maybe treating aswelll

like i said someone with more practical experience will come aslong and tell you a number of teaspoons and hopefully you will be aware of why that still needs caution when used

andrew

gypsy3
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:57 AM
thanks for that...its just that it seems hard to measure something out in milligrams etc...unless someone knows an easy way

samir
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 11:34 AM
say you buy 10 grams from a chemist. dissolve the 10 grams in 1 litre of distilled water, that will give you 10 milligrams per ml of solution.