PDA

View Full Version : PP, potassium permanganate, KMnO4, condy's crystals

ozarowana
Mon Nov 12, 2007, 02:53 AM
I've been asked how to treat with PP. This is the way I use PP to treat discus with gill flukes or other parasites, which may show symptoms such as scratching, shyness or hiding in the corner, skittishness or dashing around the tank, flared gills or one gill clamped, fish going off their food, hanging head down at 45 degrees and going dark in colour.

I have used it on other fish such as angels, BN, whiptails, gibbys, geos, rams, cories and L numbers without any problems at all. A friend uses it on Africans aswell after I discussed it with him. Fish are more active and eat better following treatment. Your water usually turns crystals clear too.

Everything is done in a bare tank, I don't think pH or temp matters too much, just make sure to increase aeration. You can do it in tanks with substrate, but it won't be as effective due to the higher bioload etc. I prefer baths over dips as dips don't deal with things in the water only on the fish.

Remember not to use PP if you have been using formalin based meds. Apparently it is explosive :shock:

1. Make a stock solution 2mg/mL (I used this concentration for ease of calculation, you can use any stock solution concentration). Accurately measure 2g and add to 1L RO or deionised water (you can probably use tap but it does contain chlorine/chloramines).

2. Remove filters etc from tanks, increase aeration, remove poop and siphon off about 10-20% of the tank volume. Run cannisters in a bucket for the duration of the treatment.

3. Add required amount of stock solution and circulate through tank, 1mL of 2mg/mL stock solution per L of remaining tank volume will give you a 2ppm or 2mg/L final concentration.

4. Watch fish for signs of distress i.e. don't leave the house. Fish that are in bad heath will not tolerate the treatment too well, while healthy fish will continue to act normally (swimming around wanting food etc). So there may be a bit of a gradient in terms of distress. If the fish are showing stress symptoms such as clamping dorsal and anal fins then all you need to do is fill the 10-20% of the water you removed with dechlorinated water. I don't use hydrogen peroxide to stop the PP. The sodium thiosulphate in dechlorinators will do the same job and won't oxidise anything if you add to much unlike HP.

5. The first treatment will probably not last very long, depending on the amount of dissolved organics in the water and also possibly the unused prime/dechlorinator in the water. You can check the activity of the PP at any time using a white plastic cup and looking at the colour of the tank water.

6. Alot of info on the web says you need to keep the purple colour for a minimum of 4hrs. Andrew Soh suggests a longer bath. I have done short 4hr and long overnight baths and they both work well. I usually just let the PP run it's course and die out. Refill the tank after the PP is done or earlier if needed (see 4). Don't do huge waterchanges as your next treatment will not last very long.

7. Place filters back on the tank and the water will clear after a few hours. Give sponges etc a sqeeze prior to putting them back in to remove a percentage of cysts that can reinfect. Your tank glass may need a wipe too as you will sometimes see sludge on the glass from oxidised bacteria/gunk previously on the glass.

8. Andrew Soh recomends repeating five times every 4 days to break the cycle. I have done less to keep fluke numbers under control or clean breeders.

9. Careful with using UV units post-treatment as the coloured water may dirty/stain the glass/quartz contact area and need cleaning if that's possible... not sure on this though. Best to remove them until the water is crystal again. I have seen fish with incurable scratching treated with a PP and UV combo.

Please don't PM me if you have questions. Post them here for everyone to see. :D

zar
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 12:27 AM
Nice post ozarowana

my questions:

1. Do you (or anyone else) know if tetras can take a 2ppm PP treatment as you described above?

2. I've heard mixed views about PP in planted tanks, does anyone know for sure if a 2ppm treatment as described by you in a planted tank would kill plants?

3. Why should the filters be taken out of the tank? If it's done in order to keep the nitrifying bacteria, are they really( is it proven?) killed with 2ppm treatments? On another discus forum i read that 2 and even 3ppm treatments should still be fine for filters, 4ppm is I quote: "asking for trouble".

thanks
zar

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 01:04 AM
pp is uselss in a planted tank. too much organic matter, plus some plants wont take it too well (eg java moss).

if you have a planted tank take the fish out and treat in a bucket 10mg/L for 10 minutes.

in addition to saving your filter bacteria, removing the filters also takes out ALOT of organic matter from the system (all the muck in your filter) making the treatment much more effective.

*edited by ILLUSN to include correct units.*

gypsy3
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 01:12 AM
anyone have any idea where you can get the stuff? i asked my local chemist and he says they cant sell it anymore due to its bomb making capabilities....go figure!

samir
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:33 AM
very useful article.
just like to add that electric yellows are sensitive to pp @ 2ppm, not sure about other Africans. PP is more toxic at higher ph so anything over 8 you might want to be careful.

anyone have any idea where you can get the stuff? i asked my local chemist and he says they cant sell it anymore due to its bomb making capabilities....go figure!

you can buy up to a maximum of 50gm online.

Discus 41
Sat Dec 01, 2007, 10:35 PM
Great article ozarawna,

I would like to add you can buy PP from your chemist under the brand name GOLD CROSS it is sold as a foot bath for us humans,I'm in Vic so I'm not sure about the other states.
Hope this helps in your search for this product.

Ian

AHC
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:24 AM
[quote="ILLUSN"]if you have a planted tank take the fish out and treat in a bucket 10mg for 10 minutes.

Hi mate,

Doing some reading and wanted to confirm this. Does this mean 10mg per ml - so if i have a 10L bucket i use 10g per litre to get this?

Cheers

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 04:59 AM
NO mate

10mg/L!!!!!!!!!

AHC
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:25 PM
Ok Cool. I don't have scales that go down to mg so i have written down to make the stock solution (which is what i was trying to say yesterday but was confused) so will mix 10g PP into a litre then will use 1ml of that solution and in each Litre of the 10L bucket which will give me my 10mg bath. Cheers.

I dont have internet at home yet so am making a little bible to take home so if i need to refer to it i can. I bought some Metro, Levamisole and PP to have on standbye. :wink:

TW
Tue Nov 11, 2008, 06:33 AM
I don't use hydrogen peroxide to stop the PP. The sodium thiosulphate in dechlorinators will do the same job and won't oxidise anything if you add to much unlike HP. If the dechlorinators stop the PP, then I guess you can't use water that has been aged, but has had Prime added to it?

Does the solution stain the silicone in the tank?

Thanks in advance.

Xtreme
Tue Nov 11, 2008, 07:57 AM
No Robyn it doesnt stain the silicone

TW
Tue Nov 11, 2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Wayne (or is it Bec???).

Do you know anything about my Prime / aged water question :?: If the dechlorinators stop the PP, then I guess you can't use water that has been aged, but has had Prime added to it :?: You must use RO :?:

Anyway, I was about to try this on my heckel. I think the stress of my C02 issue a little while back has brought something on - if not, for whatever reason, he has stopped eating.

Decided to have a last look around for advice on PP before I went ahead & stumbled on a article that has me a little unsure. Still drawn towards the treatment, especially since DIY had such great results with his fry.

Anyway, here's the article. I found it on Discus Page Holland. Should I worry about what's said :?: Have any of you had discus that were effected in this way :?: http://article.discusnews.com/cat-02/pp.shtml

Boyam
Tue Nov 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
How many times should you repeat this treatment of 4 hrs / overnight? can they be done back to back?

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 12, 2008, 12:41 PM
best done a week apart, it only kills live flukes not eggs so you need to give time for the eggs to hatch.

Boyam
Wed Nov 12, 2008, 05:51 PM
thanks, i will be trying this shortly as one of my fish is still eating; but i never see poo, fins are clamped, and he likes to stay in a corner.

m.ingram
Wed Nov 12, 2008, 11:33 PM
Just a quick reply never use formalin base products with condy crystals.As it makes a gas bomb which can make you very sick even can be fatal.

ozarowana
Thu Nov 20, 2008, 05:58 AM
Do you know anything about my Prime / aged water question :?: If the dechlorinators stop the PP, then I guess you can't use water that has been aged, but has had Prime added to it :?: You must use RO :?:

You are correct, best to use RO or demineralised water from the supermarket to make your stock solution.

If you mean in the tank... see the NOTE below.

How many times should you repeat this treatment of 4 hrs / overnight? can they be done back to back?

Once is plenty (pink colour in the white cup for full 4hrs) for knocking back bacteria and parasite numbers, which will perk a fish up. After this their immune systems are usually strong enough to keep them from getting sick again.

Note: You may need to repeat this procedure daily a few times in order for the water to stay pink that long. Excess dechlorinator or high bioloads will "use up" the PP very quickly. It's only effective when it's pink.

Boyam
Thu Nov 20, 2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks Oz now i just need to get my hands on some!

Mickey_owen7
Sat Dec 06, 2008, 09:04 PM
Quote: Andrew Soh recomends repeating five times every 4 days to break the cycle. I have done less to keep fluke numbers under control or clean breeders.

Hey
Does he mean treat 5 times in 4 days OR Treat 5 times altogether with a 4 day break in between?

Also, if i were to medicate parents but i don't want to contaminate the breeding tank. Would medicating them in a small tank be ok?

Cheers[/quote]

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 06, 2008, 11:06 PM
do 5 treatments 4 days apart

TW
Sat Dec 27, 2008, 08:43 AM
Due to a case gill flukes, I did a PP treatment this weekend (took them out of main tank for the treatment).

Discus are back in the main tank now & they have all eaten & are acting normally. One of the discus (a wild) has brown staining marks on the clear part of his tail m& fins. Can anything be done to help this situation?

Thanks in advance.

swingn
Mon Dec 29, 2008, 01:49 PM
Does anyone know where PP can be sourced these days?

Went to the usual bulk Chemists & they now inform me that it has been taken off the shelf due to their "bomb making" potencial :P

TW
Mon Dec 29, 2008, 02:04 PM
Some said that to me, but finally one actually checked & I think it is that you can't buy more than a certain amount, but they can order it in for you. I got it from the chemist in Piccadilly shopping centre, Sydney. I can dig up their phone no if you need it.

ozarowana
Thu Feb 12, 2009, 02:32 PM
I have seen it on the shelves at a Chemist Warehouse up here. 50g for $8.99.

swingn
Mon Mar 30, 2009, 03:19 AM
I landed up finding a Chemist that had some in stock (Was a lucky find IMO), but it seems as though it's getting harder & harder to come by.

Of course 50g does go a damn long way :D

Old Dave
Sun Jul 12, 2009, 01:18 PM
How long is the stock solution viable?

I have a 2.5" discus with rapid/forced gill movements and "fat" lips which don't come together when he breathes. Hides in dark places, etc.

I am hoping a 4 hour pp dip in a small tank will make a difference.
Am I doing the right thing? Should I just go for the 10 min treatment first?

Thanks
Old Dave

ILLUSN
Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:04 AM
keep your stock solution in a clean steril bottle wrapped in foil in the fridge, i make mine up with distilled water and still effective at a month old.

Old Dave
Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:10 PM
keep your stock solution in a clean steril bottle wrapped in foil in the fridge, i make mine up with distilled water and still effective at a month old.

I'll have to put a bottle under my Air Conditioner drain when it warms up. :wink:

How long until I would expect to see improvement after a 5 Hr treatment?
Quite a few strange things on the floor of the tank.

Thanks
Old Dave

beany
Tue Aug 17, 2010, 11:48 AM
in case you wanted to know more I just found this. Maybe it will help someone else or save a google.

on how it works and side effects in planted tanks.
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/potper.shtml

LEG-IT
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 03:57 AM
hey is the dosage rate same to get rid of this
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/5389468953_15743ddf94_z.jpg

its gotten worse to the point where i think it may kill her, though she doesnt seem to be affected it has spread to her scales now!!

no other fish in the tank has it, ammonia etc are all 0.

i heard protozin gets rid of it too?

boxters
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 07:02 AM
im not wanting to contradict anyone on here, but i have used formalin and pp to treat planted tanks.

What i do is treat with formalin at a rate of 2-2.5ml per 100 litres for 7 days depending on how sick the fish are. I then add pp after 7 days which actually bonds with the formalin to make it less toxic according to a pharmasist i have done some work with. PP is only active for about 45 mins and is then inefective and will change colour as it oxidises. I then use pure vitamin C tablets from a pharmacy or health food shop. The vitamin C must be 100%pure with no suger. I crush them up and add them to the tank. It absorbs the pp coulouring leaving the tank clear and also stimulates the fishes appetite

ILLUSN
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:43 AM
your pharmicicst is correct, PP's effective time is somewhere between 45min-1hr, this window can be increased by keeping light out, the color change from purple to brown is a good indiaction it has been exausted.

PP is an oxidising agent, as a result it will oxiduse ANYTHING it comes into contact with, adding PP to formalin will result in the formalin being deactivated.

Vitamin C is a powerful antioxident hence clearing the color of the PP. the apitite stimulation is a direct result for the vitmin C, I use B complex + garlic to stimulate appitied in stuborn or sick fish (easier to get sugar free then Vit C + seems alittle more effective).