PDA

View Full Version : Planted discus tank. It's Working!

riverlanddiscus
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 08:09 AM
I was hesitant at first to try a planted tank, but this has been running for 4 weeks now. If I can do this, believe me, anyone can. I can't even grow soursob! I have added a few plants in last couple of days but no probs, yet! 8-) I am using a 20 kg (+ top-up) of aquarium sand as my substrate, running aquarium at 29 degrees, no co2, using 1 60 watt light in hood - 10000k - Florish tabs and using Eheim 2227. I have growth but only minimal pearling.
My discus - red dragon, blue diamond, red turq and leopard seem happy.

Never attached pic before here, so here goes.

riverlanddiscus
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 08:16 AM
Apparently pic is too big. Unsure how to re-size it. It's 2.87MB

riverlanddiscus
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 08:30 AM
Having a try at showing photo

riverlanddiscus
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 08:45 AM
Hope you like them!

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 12:40 PM
Looking good!, did you set the 2227 to wet only mode or is it still running wet/dry?

Love that red turk!

triumph1921
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hi there

I just noticed the plants behind the driftwood..........the long spikey ones are infact not true aquatic plants. I had made the same mistake when i started my first tank...........they look good for a few days then die mysteriously. If u want to check out which plants are good and which ones are not a good website is www.plantgeek.net .

BTW those are some nice discus u have in there.

cheers

riverlanddiscus
Sat Nov 10, 2007, 03:34 AM
Hi Jothy,
Still running as wet/dry but hoping to cahange this weekend. I am having trouble sourcing sponge for the bottom so I can use it as a mechanical filter too. Can I just cut any type of aquarium sponge to fit?

I got the last plants from an ebay supplier and had no idea that they weren't going to last in my aquarium, so they will be coming out soon. Thanks for heads up.

ILLUSN
Sat Nov 10, 2007, 11:49 AM
i'd just cut some corse and fine sponge to fit, been doing a bit of reading on the 2227 and 2229 it appears that water flows from top to bottom in these filters. if thats the case, put your efhimech and sponges in the TOP basket, not the bottom.