PDA

View Full Version : levamisole or prazi for other fish and fry

zar
Wed Oct 31, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hi

Is levamisole or prazi ok to use with tetras, bristlenose and dwarf cichlids? Or
is there any fish that should not be medicated with the levamisole or prazi?
how about fry, or non-adult fish?

thanks

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 01, 2007, 01:13 AM
I've used both with tetras and bristlenoses without problem, havn't been game to try it on fry though.

samir
Thu Nov 01, 2007, 09:33 AM
tried them both on one inch discus fry, numerous times, only a couple of the weakest may turn a bit dark with prazi.

with levimasole do a big water change after 24 hours, if you overdose they can go off food for a bit, if you leave it in the water for too long, they will get jumpy

if you're fry are dying then a 2mg/l 24 hour PP bath is much more effective that prazi. the prazi available at your lfs hardly works on flukes anymore.

seecuta
Thu Nov 01, 2007, 01:06 PM
I agree. Prazi seems pretty useless for treating flukes, especially the flukes inherent on asian imported discus.

I recently did the prazi treatment for 2 weeks with no improvements. This p'ed me off a bit so i decided to go a 1 hr short bath PP treatment. Within minutes all fish showed significant improvements and are now looking 100%.

So dont waste your money on prazi if your intention is to treat flukes. Tapeworm however, should be ok.

ozarowana
Sat Nov 03, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hi Zar,

Nice meeting you the other day. I agree PP works on flukes and bacteria, but only under certain circumstances.

Do you want to worm, defluke or both?

zar
Sun Nov 04, 2007, 10:15 PM
i'm seeing some heavy respiration on my tank, treated with sterazin, that was all i had, didint seem to do too much, i'm still convinced it's flukes so i wanna treat for flukes first.
deworming, i'm not so sure, wouldnt harm i guess since i've never done it on my fish, but thats not too urgent for now.
ozarowana sent you a pm.

cheers