PDA

View Full Version : plants not dead, just wont grow. why?

clinny_d
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 01:28 PM
hey.
i have no idea why, but my plants just wont grow, there not dead they just stopped growing. i think this has resulted in algae growing on there leaves and it looks really bad.
does anyone know why?
cheers

fishgeek
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 04:49 PM
light
nitrogen Phosphorus Kpotassium..
carbon
micronutrients

any deficency in those will inhibit plant growth, top being more important

andrew

clinny_d
Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:02 AM
hey fishgeek
its not light cos i got plenty of light. i used a liquid fert a couple of weeks back, but it only made a very small difference, but ill try some dry ferts.
cheers

ILLUSN
Wed Oct 24, 2007, 03:01 AM
try some NPK and upping your CO2. if you've got algae, your nutrient should be fine, the co2 will give the plants the edge thay need to out grow the algae.

Tommo
Wed Oct 24, 2007, 03:43 AM
Hi clinny_d .You Could Have High Phosphate Levels Or You Could Be Dosing Far To Much In The Way Of Macro Nutrients Which Will Cause Algae.Also Once Algae Gets On Your Plants They To Struggle To Feed.
You Always Want To Feed Your Plants As Much Micro Nutrients,And As Little Macro Nutrients As They Require.

Macro Nutrients Are Nitrates, Phosphates, Calcuim, Sodium, Potassium ,Chloride, Magnesium, Sulfates

Micro Nutrients Are Iron, Boron, Copper, Zinc, Molybdenum, Manganese

Etc Etc

Cheers Tommo

fishgeek
Wed Oct 24, 2007, 06:35 AM
the more plant minded suggest that light drives the whole plant situation

that nitrogen, phosphate and potassium should not be restricted, and that overdosing of them does not lead to algae

that in high light tanks nitrogen deficency is one of the most cmmon cause's of poor plant growth

carbon dioxide should be kept steady around 25ppm ,fluctuations can also allow algal overgrowth

what is your light level?
if it is above 2wpg you may need to use some source of carbon(gas or liquid) and then also other fertilisers to ensure that plants have what is required to grow

andrew

Tommo
Wed Oct 24, 2007, 07:20 AM
[quote]that nitrogen, phosphate and potassium should not be restricted, and that overdosing of them does not lead to algae

fishgeek I Disagree You Do Want As Much Macro Nutrients In The Aquarium But, Macro Nutrients Do Cause Algae, So You Dose To What They Require Only.

Cheers Tommo

fishgeek
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:49 AM
have a read of some of tom barr's research, i keep fish so i dont claim to know as much about plants and am only new to actually adding nitrate to my tank

the internet is full of myth, thats the power of repetition made so muceasier by cut and paste
and i'm sure every one has read igh phosphate cause's algae at some point, all i am suggesting is that on tom barr's site he has some evidence and data that i feel pretty strongly debunk's that statement

then as they say there is more than one way to skin a cat
andrew

JamezMan
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
I just have a quick question if you guys dont mind asking. Where's the best place to get dry ferts from, such as NPK? Or, what are some suitable liquid ferts that will do the same job?

Thankyou.

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:41 PM
i wouldn't use NPK in a liquid form. i use jobes sticks from the US or i make up some clay balls with a bit or garden clay and a pinck of osmocote NATIVE PLANT slow release granuals (these have VERY little P)

fishgeek
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:44 PM
chemical supplies, i cant help in your hemisphere

search sales of potasium nitrate , magnesium sulphate(epsom salts) potsium phosphate, though regulation may restrict as KNO3 is salt peter and can be used for explosive manufacture

my use of the term NPK is just because most terrestrial fertilisers use this to show the ratio of these 3 main elements, unfortunately much terrestrial fertiliser sources the nitrogen from ammonia, this is obviously a problem for fish and may also be more beneficial to the algae than the aquatic plants

andrew