PDA

View Full Version : best way to fatten up discus without using beefheart

Jet
Wed Sep 26, 2007, 12:13 AM
Hi guys,
I recently purchased some discus from a shop, they are a bit skinny but healthy. (proabaly due to underfeeding during quarantine). They are eating well and swimming actively. I would like to know what is the best way to fatten them up, without using frozen food. Ie beefheart.

I have tetra colour bits at the moment, but would like to try something else. They really enjoy the food however it tends to drop the PH in my tank after heavy feeding. I will add some coral into my tank.

What else can i try to fatten them up into show quality fish?

ILLUSN
Wed Sep 26, 2007, 02:15 AM
try breeders blend flake or new life spectrum, both are very good foods, also try to grow up some spirolina fed brineshrimp.

tzwms
Wed Sep 26, 2007, 05:14 AM
If the food is really causing a drop in pH then you need to look at your overall setup - it should not be happening. There are any number of things that could be out of balance, but why don't you describe your set up: tank size, number of fish, filter system, water parameters, etc.

samir
Wed Sep 26, 2007, 05:33 AM

beefheart :P

what's your kh ? whats your ph ? what does it drop to ? does it drop after a water change ?

kikoman
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:16 PM
buy them some colorbits granules (for discus)... i'm sure they'll love it...

nicholas76
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:28 PM
HI Jet. post a picture if you can..

Your probably really limited in your choices. Simply conduct allot more feedings,, tetra bit , frozen worm , frozen brime shrimp. allot more but mix it up.

a quality beef heart mix is your best bet however, mix it with spirulina, tuna lecethin etc etc refer to the beef heart post by lady red.

Interesting that you state your ph changes when you overfeed? how bigs your tank , tank stats? remember more feeding more w/c.

JamezMan
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 02:29 AM
buy them some colorbits granules (for discus)... i'm sure they'll love it...

lol. She says she feeds them already...

apistodiscus
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 09:06 AM

Good choice not to feed beefheart. If you don't want to feed frozen food in general your best option is to go for a granular food like Tetra Prima with a protein content over 40%.
Have a look at wild caught fish and show winners. Show winners are considerably bigger but to me look plain horrible and completely out of proportion compared to their wild cousin. IMO some of the varieties coming from Asia look like giant jellybabies