PDA

View Full Version : treating discuss in tank with 2 week old babies

Insomnia
Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:52 PM
Hi! two of my discuss have finally succeded in having a brood. They have been tryin for a long time, but the fry have never made it past a few days in this 240 Gal community tank. a few days ago I looked in the tank, noticed the ph had fallen to 5.5 which is about a point higher than I like to keep it. but low and behold, I had babies. They're eating, swimming, and seem to be quite happy and healthy. The only factor I can contribute to this sudden success is the low ph level. In any case, there is a question in here. I have a few discuss in that tank that have some fin rott. One particular female is looking pretty bad and needs treatment. there are only 6 adult discus currently in the tank, and about half of them have some fin rott, so I would just like to treat them in the big tank rather than move them as it will be a real difficulty catching them in that big tak without making the new parents real nervouse. What would you suggest I treat them with, and at what point do you think medicating that tank would be safe for the babies?

mistakes r crucial
Thu Sep 06, 2007, 07:30 PM
Hi Insomnia,

I wouldn't be treating 2 week old fry with anything apart from daily water changes. If you've got fin rot in a tank I'd get the fry out of there quick smart and then work out what the cause of the fin rot is. It can be water quality issues so a starting point would be to up the water changes to daily for a week or so and see if there is any improvement. A handful of salt wouldn't be a bad idea either at each water change. If there's no improvement then you will have to consider using an antibiotic.
MAC