PDA

View Full Version : Pop eye

ansonvd
Wed Aug 29, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hello everyone.

A friend of mine just called me, and explained to me that one of his discus had a bulging eye, it looked like it was going to pop out!
Here are his tank details:
Size: 6 x 1.5 x 1
Water temp: 27 deg
PH: around 6.4
Tank mates: x3 discus, 30 rummy nose, some algae eater etc

Thats about all the details I know. Is there anything that he can do to save his little mate? Is it contagious?
Thanks for your help.
ansonvd

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 30, 2007, 01:25 AM
get onto some octozin or metro ASAP, move the fish to it's own tank give the best water quality possible (daily or even twice daily changes no less then 30%) keep temp at 30 degrees, lower ph to 6.5, add salt 1-2tsp/40L. feed live mozzi wrigglers, baby guppies etc if the fish wont eat. if started early recovery can be complete in 3 weeks.

duckeo
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 01:32 PM
Sorry to hijack this, but I've got almost the same problem. Any tips on filtration for the set up of an emergency hospital? I can go and get a small tank without too much trouble - should I go get a small internal filter too? What about bacterial filtration?

ILLUSN
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
if your setting up a new tank you wont have time for the bacteria to establish, if you can spare a little media out of a canister, then you can use a box filter or something similar.

the daily or 2x daily changes will take care of any ammonia or nitrate, also depending on the drugs you use, the filter bacteria might be wiped out with the fist dose.