PDA

View Full Version : Which Discus is easy to raise?

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:54 AM
I feel it sound odd to ask but I heard from one of my friend that there are some Discus type which are a little hardy too with the water parameters. Is this true? if yes then what are those discus types? I know that discus lives in very soft waters but just wanted to confirm this Question.

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:39 AM
Turquoise discus have been bred in captivity for a very long time, so I think they would probably be the hardiest strain.

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 09:33 AM
Hmmm...

If you dont mind then can you show me a picture of what a Turquoise discus look like?

I have the following discus in my tank.. what discus are they?

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 10:51 AM
From top to bottom you have a pigeon blood, a snakeskin, and a red turquoise.

I'll see if I can find you a pic of a nice blue turquoise.

taksan
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
Welcome back Rytis .....;-)

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks Merrilyn for the names...

So I believe that the discus having more than 9 stipes on its body is snakes skin?!

I am thinking to get 1 blue diamond and 1 red melon now...

My Red Turq always bully to my snakes skin... is this normal or anything to worry... why do they bully? Although I always keep an eye on them and there is no physical damage or abnormal behavior but turq always chace snake in the feeding time a well, not allowing snake to each much. Pigeon is doing fine in the tank and eat normal.

I am pretty sure you can give some suggestion on this :)

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:28 AM
Discus always bully each other. It's just their nature.

In fact, the more discus you have together in one tank, the less they bully each other. Just keep an eye on them and make sure it's not getting too serious.

Put food in both ends of the tank at the same time, then the little snakeskin will have a better chance of eating without the turquoise chasing him off.

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:41 AM
nice reply Merrilyn... thanks!

I will try ure trick in the evening when i get back home... and one question...

I know we have to feed discus variety of food... but I feed them most TetraMin Flakes 2 times in a day... and Blood worm 2 times in a week... is this routine fine.. cause I just want to avoid problems with parasites...(as I heard from this forum)

apistodiscus
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 12:39 PM
nice reply Merrilyn... thanks!

I know we have to feed discus variety of food... but I feed them most TetraMin Flakes 2 times in a day... and Blood worm 2 times in a week... is this routine fine.. cause I just want to avoid problems with parasites...(as I heard from this forum)

Sorry, that won't do. You will need to give your discus a high protein diet. Protein should make up about 45% of the overall food. Fat should make up less than 5%. Bloodworms have a very low nutrional value and are prone to carry diseases depending where you get yours from.

you can make your own food mixture. Beef or turkey heart mixtures are ver popular amongst many fishkeepers. Personally, I prefer a seafood/vegetable mix for various reasons. If you want very big discus feed them plenty of beeheart mixtures, however, these mixtures are very hard to digest and fat from warm blooded animals causes other health problems in fish. In human terms, compare it to a Westener with a high content of red meat in his diet growing to 6 foot something and 300 lbs living to be 50 years after which he dies from a heart attack, stroke, etc and and Asian living on a fish abd rice based diet growing to 5 foot something but living into his 80s or 90s. No wonder that the Japanese have the longest life expectancy but are not tall. Plenty od Sushi to keep that ticker going.

Oh, BTW, red turqs are the easiest to keep. Wild caught Heckels the hardest

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for an informative reply... apistodiscus!

Well.. then I would rather feed them sushi type ingredients.. any idea what would be the best from a SEA food MIX? and how to make it?

I do have some mini dry pearl shrimps.. will they eat them?

samir
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:42 PM
In human terms, compare it to a Westener with a high content of red meat in his diet growing to 6 foot something and 300 lbs living to be 50 years after which he dies from a heart attack, stroke, etc and and Asian living on a fish abd rice based diet growing to 5 foot something but living into his 80s or 90s. No wonder that the Japanese have the longest life expectancy but are not tall. Plenty od Sushi to keep that ticker going.

have you seen Yao Ming ??? 7 foot 5 and all Asian.

apistodiscus
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:44 PM
Shrimp are the main food of discus in the wild. I don't know what is available in your part of the world but here is my mix:

1kg cod, pollock, ling (any white fish will do), don't cook or steam the fish
500g of shrimps, cooked, heads taken off
250g of steamed spinach or nettles
3 cloves of crushed garlic
1 egg yolk
.5 l of a good quality flake food and granules

The whole lot onto a food processor to be worked into a fine paste. dissolve a packet of gelantine in 200ml of water and add to the mixture.
fill the paste into zip bag and press down ro a thickness of a couple of milimetres. Wait until the gelantine has almost set and then draw break lines into the food mixture. Will keep in the deep freeze for a couple of months. You can add things like cod liver oil, astaxanthin, etc

apistodiscus
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:47 PM
have you seen Yao Ming ??? 7 foot 5 and all Asian.

Yeah, and also that freak show on the discovery channel with that dwarf family that have one normal sized child. Exceptions do happen

samir
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:49 PM
you need to get out more mate.

apistodiscus
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:56 PM
got digital TV in the fishhouse. Why would I want to get out more?

samir
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 04:02 PM
that's why you guys are getting the heart attacks, too much tv and no excercise :lol: :lol:

discusbarlas
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 05:21 PM
lolz... nice discussion there.. Samir and apistodiscus..

thanks for the recipe... of Discus Sushi... :) i will try making at home on weekend...

Right now i am feeding them dry pearl shrimps (mini) and flakes (every day) and bloodword (twice in a week)

moneymike
Wed Aug 15, 2007, 02:18 AM
About feeding garlic to our Discus, does it have to be boiled, or soaked? I want to add it to my own mix but am wary of it being to spicy or bad for them.

magic-city
Wed Aug 15, 2007, 04:21 AM
Just wanted to say my experience…though I am still very new to keeping discus.
I used apistodiscus personal DIY seafood diet recipe…I must say I could not be more pleased with this diet and my discus really enjoy this food! They accepted this food from the first time offered and still do feed very well!

I add the three cloves garlic...I leave raw...just remove all pealing and mince it very finely (almost paste-liquid) and mix it throughly into the whole batch of feed...with no problems...they like the flavor I think.
:)

samir
Wed Aug 15, 2007, 05:43 AM
don't put too much garlic, it stinks. I'd personally go for a mix that is at least 50% beefheart.