PDA

View Full Version : Juwel vission lighting...

GrkBoy
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 07:57 AM
Hey guys, next month I am buying my vission 450..... its going to be a planted discus tank. The new juwel tanks come with their new T5 54w lights, one warm and the other cool.

Do you guys thing that 108w is sufficient for a 450l planted tank with co2 and controler???
As we all know juwel bulbs cannot be replaced as they specifically make thm to their lenth (60cm i think) and I cannot replace them with another brand/make.

What do you guys suggest I do, do I go the D.I.Y route, and try 'add-on' an extra 2 54w T5's or should i just keep the ones that come with the tank??

All info is greatly appreciated.

p.s - this is my first "big" planted/discus project, and I am going all out. Controllers, 2 canisters, Lights, ferts the works... Pics of the whole "birth" proccess will be posted :)

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
Having just setup my vision there is nothing stopping you buying a second T5 light fitting and get new Juwel top filler plates that allow you to have two lights. I have the older light which is 4xT8 however will upgrade these to T5 when they arrive in Australia. I will probably end up with 2xT8 and 2xT5 globes

I would tryout the 2 x T5 and if not enough just buy another T5 light unit ..

PS really nice tank

rob

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 09:38 PM
Forgot to add make sure you buy the light reflectors before leaving the shop...Juwel should bundle these with the tank however they squeeze more money out of you as after sale options....OH I also took out the Juwel filter as I thought it took up too much in-tank room.

taksan
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 11:51 PM
How hard was it to cut out that filter thingo ?

Bad Inferno
Sat Aug 11, 2007, 12:21 AM
Not as easy as I thought....I tried fishing line trying to cut through the silicon however was hopeless so I ended up getting a hacksaw blade, snapping the end off and then just driving the end of the blade through the silicon. It came off OK as I obviously didn't want to scratch the glass. I am very happy with the look of this tank, as the beech frame matches the floor and the quality of glass seems very good. The top of these tanks are designed very well...soo easy to work with as the light sits across the tank frame then they use some plastic filler plates between. So to get acces into the tank your just lift off the filelr plates slide the lights to the back of the tank and away you go. This must be very cheap to manufacture instead of the aluminium extruded canopy however its very practical and makes the top of the tank look great with the concealed lights. One compliant through is that with the dual lights and the Juwel background the rear most light is just about sitting over the internal background. The background is very thick and does take quite a bit of tank space. See pics in my Vision Journal (within Amazon Garden) of how far the thing sticks out.

Top_Bhoy
Sat Aug 11, 2007, 02:22 AM
To remove the internal Juwel filter is fairly easy to do - but patience is required. I used a sharp and relatively long, flexible bladed kitchen knife. Eased just behind the top of the filter, start to slowly cut away the silicon in a sawing manner. If I remember correctly, the silicon is only in 2 or 3 blobs and not the entire length of the filter.

This filter is not the best and hard to access I feel, in a larger tank. I think you're doing the right thing in removing it.

Bad Inferno
Sat Aug 11, 2007, 12:42 PM
Top_B lets see a picture of your tank :D

Top_Bhoy
Sun Aug 12, 2007, 11:51 AM
Top_B lets see a picture of your tank :D

Sorry Bad Infero,

Its in the planning stage :lol: Just waiting final permission for having a tank in the rental unit (I've been told verbally it should be OK). Currently looking about for a 4ft tank of about 280-300 litres.

The tank I had to cut away the filter was one I had in the UK - the bow fronted Vision 260. This was superceded by a superb looking Rena Classic 150cm job but sadly I had to sell it before I travelled here. I was looking for the smaller Rena Classic version here in SA but there just doesn't seem to be any about!!! Maybe because the French don't travel well!!! :lol:

Once I have selected the tank, I'll have plenty of questions for you guys on available plants and lighting options. :D

Bad Inferno
Sun Aug 12, 2007, 11:53 AM
Check out my tank status in this forum under Vision journal...fish went in yesterday

GrkBoy
Sun Aug 12, 2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies, il also be removing my internal filter, hopefully I shouldn't have too many problems!

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 13, 2007, 09:15 AM
Top Bhoy...If you wait a few months the juwel will be shipped with T5 lights....I also looked at the new Fluval tanks seemed nice however limited in size. They come with the Fluval 403/404 filters and the tank has been drilled in the bottom for filter intake/outlet. The integrated canopy housing T5 also has switches integrated into it.