PDA

View Full Version : My "Discus" Died today. :(

garikfox
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 03:47 AM
My 3 Discus Died today. (1 almost adult peach/blue color, 1 almost an adult Blue Snakeskin, 1 Teenage Red dragon/red snakeskin) :cry:

Rena Heater Malfunction. :x

Was to late to save them the water got to almost 98f without me knowing, First sign for me was they started to lay on the bottom gravel, So I felt the water and that was the end.......... :( :cry:

Im actually devastated and so depressed right now....... :cry:

scott bowler
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 04:02 AM
garikfox i am so sorry for your loss.it is always hard to lose these guys we get so attached to them .but do not dispair to much just pick up and try again if you can .this one dosent look like it was your fault .i guess the only thing is that we need to watch every thing a little closer. good luck hope that you can get past it and get more fish
scott

garikfox
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 04:08 AM
Thx :wink:

Yeah I loved them more then my dog.

At least I know what heater not to get, I look back and it did seem that little light on the heater was going on alot more like it would turn on for 35 secs. then it would turn off for 45 secs. Must of got stuck in that routine.

Ohh well...... Ill try and start over. :)

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 04:59 AM
Oh that's tragic. I'm so sorry to hear that Garik.

It's tough to lose fish, even tougher when it's due to an equipment malfunction.

Hope you feel able to try again with discus.

scuba123cliff
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 06:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your fish can you let us know the brand of heater and how old it was.It might stop it from takeing someone elses fish.
Cliff

samir
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 11:04 AM
could be any heater, if you push the thermostat beyond the maximum it can get stuck. i had a sera stick on me this morning. sorry to hear about the fish dying.

garikfox
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 04:55 PM
Thx guys :wink:

It will be awhile until I get more discus since there like 85US ea. here at a medium size, 35US for babies. :P

The heater was made in France they very commom here in the US, The brand is Rena its a division of Aquarium Pharmaceuticals there based in Canada I do believe.

nicholas76
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:10 AM
mate you can buy digital termometers that have an alarm in built so if it breaches the parameters you set ,,,it will go off.

you can find them for under $20

on the upside this means you have to go out and find some new fish now good luck

garikfox
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:22 AM
Man ! I got 2 more 1 week ago, and the baby died today.

Wow, ohh well, He looked very week also Ive never seen them that small about the size of a US quarter. Wow again 35US for 1week of fish lol.

At least my Marlboro Man is doing really good, Hes breathing really fast but hes eating like theres nothing tommorrow, lol.

scott bowler
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:52 AM
garikfox i think you need to have a look at your water . there must be some thing there sorry to hear about your loss .you are gong to have to look deeper in to it so it doesnt happen again .best of luck with it kep us informed scott

garikfox
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 06:53 PM
garikfox i think you need to have a look at your water . there must be some thing there sorry to hear about your loss .you are gong to have to look deeper in to it so it doesnt happen again .best of luck with it kep us informed scott

My water is perfect ive been doing this for years, and I consider myself a expert in tropical fish, Thus running my own LFS store in the late 90(s).

I use RO water with Seachem Discus trace and ProperPH 6.5.

It was actually a different breeder on the baby thus telling me that breeder isnt so good, The baby it looked like he just withered away, Im betting it was internal parasites from the breeder(s) batch.

garikfox
Tue Aug 14, 2007, 06:57 PM
mate you can buy digital termometers that have an alarm in built so if it breaches the parameters you set ,,,it will go off.

you can find them for under $20

on the upside this means you have to go out and find some new fish now good luck

I got me one of them Alarm thermometers 16.99, lol, Its off by 2F but thats ok, I duck taped the proobe on the back bottom outside of the aquarium. :D

garikfox
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 05:59 PM
Got my Discus today, Now Im fully back to where I was before "Rena" Murdered my 3 children 2 weeks ago.

1 x Medium "Marlboro Red"

2 x Medium "Brilliant Turq."

All three were about 160.00US.

Did I do good !? :lol: :P

P.S - Got me a good heater this time around a "Visi-Therm Stealth" 8-) :wink:

nicholas76
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 11:51 PM
Did I do good !? :lol: :P

put pictures in the critique section and you will find out!!

scott bowler
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:34 AM
garikfox thats good to hear , like nic said we need pics hehe we like pics lol,. how big are they ?
and good luck with it all
scott

garikfox
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 03:32 AM
Ill brb taking some pics now.....

P.S - The 2 blue ones are the ones I got today, The Red one has been in there for 1 week already.

It was actually HILARIOUS watching Marlboro Man get Dis-Owned, LoL

Amazing, usually takes me 2 days to get them to eat "color-bits". Once Marlboro Man was eating was again HILARIOUS wathcing Marlboro Man eat. LOL he was like "Man, I gotta eat this stuff fast !" While the 2 Blue were watching him wondering what these red chunks he was eating, LoL" So I put a tad more color-bits in there and wham they got the feed-greed going on, lol, Now we are all eating color-bits. I do think have a record for going from LFS worms -> Home:Color-bits in excatly 24hrs. Heheee, lol :)

Ok, pics INC. :lol: 8-) :P :wink:

garikfox
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 03:53 AM
My camera is so bad I took 10 pics outta just this one. Ill get more up soon...... :wink: 8-)

http://members.cox.net/garikfox/disc_1.jpg

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 06:25 AM
Well done garik. They're looking good :P

garikfox
Sun Aug 19, 2007, 05:01 PM
The biggest blue one actually hasnt eatan yet its been 52hrs. his sister/brother is eating more then Marlboro Man, lol

I hope the bigger one gets to eaten, He does seem interested, Following the other two around while they eat.

He did eat one color-bit but blew it out, lol 8-)

P.S- ill take more pics soon my camera isnt working right.

scott bowler
Mon Aug 20, 2007, 02:26 AM
hehe they do look cool good luck with this lot garikfox they look to be in good shape hehe.

garikfox
Mon Aug 20, 2007, 05:21 AM
Ok we may have a problem,

Biggest one I havent seen eat yet its been 62hrs., he/she kinda seems to withdrawling from the pack, And now the other blue one and Marlboro Man i call him are getting weird, The medium blue one was chasing flashing the fin in the face at Marlboro man trying to own him, It was working, Untill I look at Marlboro Man now hes chasing the heck outta the medium blue one, lol

But the good news is Marlboro man and Medium blue are eating like, well they are stuffed pigs sorta speak, lol tehy can eat ALOT of food im suprised how stuffed they get, lol

But The biggest discus i have Ill call him big blue hasnt eaten, He does get excited with the other fish but doesnt go for the food. I use color-bits.

So I raised the temp to 30c from 83.5F.

I use a UV sterilizer so once they start eaten ive pretty much got it made. :wink: