PDA

View Full Version : Carbon ?

Erk
Thu Aug 02, 2007, 07:47 PM
I was wondering how long carbon and bio-chem zorb is actually effective for? A week is what I have read in some "spots"

I hooked up a new surface skimmer on tuesday, and it came with carbon pads for it...it actually came with four pads, two with carbon and the blue sponges, and two with only the carbon, now blue sponges.....and Im only using two (one in each side)....the two with the blue sponges and carbon

Im concerned my ferts arent being used up properly with this in the filter/skimmer....but if it is only effective for a week or so, then i will just deal with it.

Also, when I dose Big L, and everyone says to remove all carbon from filters, is that "new" carbon, that is actually doing something, versus just building beneficial bacteria on it, or should I remove this as well? Like if I had carbon in my filter for a month, should I remove it when doing the big L treatment??

Thanks very much....hope that made some sense!
eric

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 02, 2007, 10:47 PM
carbon has a life of 1-2 weeks biochemzorb up to 3 months i change mine every 6 weeks (when i use it). you souldn't need any carbon in your tank, maybe just leave the carbon sponges out of the skimer?

if you use any meds remove ALL carbon and any biochemzorb.

Erk
Thu Aug 02, 2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks ILLUSN :D

If I take the carbon out of the skimmer, then all I would have is some real skinny blue foam? Maybe I should get some filter floss from the LFS, to throw in there with the blue sponge?

I was told to use Carbon in my xp1 for the beneficial bacteria it will build on it, cause the xp1 runs my inline reactor. I had bio chem zorb laying around, so I used it....guess I should get carbon, that way its lifespan is way shorter

Thanks again :D