PDA

View Full Version : Rain Water

norto
Fri Jul 20, 2007, 11:31 PM
I am just wondering people if it is ok to use rain water in my tanks my RO unit is struggling to keep up due to the cold water coming through the membrane and I have 2 corrugated iron tanks overflowing with water at the moment and was hoping to use them. any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Norto.

ILLUSN
Sat Jul 21, 2007, 12:05 AM
ive used sydney rain water witth excellent results, so good that now im in my new place i'm installing a 3500L rain water tank just for the fish, whatch the ph drop though, my rain water was about 6-6.5

scott bowler
Sat Jul 21, 2007, 02:23 AM
i would use the rain water its good.but check the water chem out of the iron tank . just in case.i would rather us the plastic tanks

norto
Sun Jul 22, 2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the replies I think I will check the iron levels as the tanks are fairly old.
Regards,
Norto.

Robdog
Tue Jul 24, 2007, 02:47 AM
Rainwater is great for the really soft water fish. I was collecting it a little while back on a small scale to get some Dicrossus Fila. to breed.
I ran the collected water through one of those Brita water filters to strain out any particles and I think they have carbon in them too. It was a slow process but it was only for small tanks.

lesley
Sat Jul 28, 2007, 04:59 AM
You may need to check out problems with zinc content?

I use rainwater, but have concrete tanks, and find that you need to be very careful with pH crashes. I keep the kH at 2 and as well as using a kH powder, I have oyster shells in my filters. You will find that your pH generally comes in at a constant, but if you have lots of rain check first, don't just assume that the pH will be the same as normal.

HTH

ozarowana
Tue Aug 28, 2007, 09:08 AM
I plan to use rainwater/tap mix. I will be running the rainwater through a sediment and carbon filter first though. This should take care of alot of the impurities.