PDA

View Full Version : New to discus, few questions

Tom88
Tue Jul 10, 2007, 10:24 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum and my dad and I are setting up a discus tank, but I have a few questions.

Firstly, how many discus can we keep in a 5x2x2 tank? At the moment we are going with six because there will (hopefully) be some other tenants in the tank, and we don't want to overstock. Secondly, can 2 synodontis frontosus and a bristlenose pleco coexist peacefully with discus? I have read that syno. angelicus can, so I thought frontosus would be fine too. Additionally, what would be the preferred method of filtration? At the moment we are looking at a combination of both a trickle filter and a sponge filter, which is what we have in our old tank. Is a sump just an external trickle filter and are they better? I know they increase the water volume, but are they a good alternative to trickle filters and/or sponge filters, or am I just confused?

Thanks, Tom.

apistodiscus
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 03:10 PM
Hi Tom,
6 fish would be fine. Rule of thumb is 1 discus per 50l. You could actually have 2 more plus a few other fish. The synodontis is a no-go with discus. Too hectic and it feeds quite aggressive. It also won't be able to tolerate the temperatures required for discus, especially if you have to heat treat your fish. Bristlenoses, however, will be fine. I you intend to keep a few more catfish, go for something like Corydoras sterbai or there are various L number plecs that are suitable.

A sump isn't a trickle filter. you will have to drill your tank or built an overflow boc. The sump is an aquarium that is divided into several section filled with a variety of filter media, ranging from filterwool to sponges to siporax etc. It increases your water volume which will enable you to stock more fish. Two great advantages to a sump, 1. you can hide heaters, CO2 etc in it and 2. they need very little maintenace.

Hope that helps

samir
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 03:33 PM
and one great disadvantage of a sump is that it can sound like something from the exorcist, if done incorrectly.

Tom88
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 08:04 PM
I have talked to my dad about a sump and I think we will take that route. I think we will stick to 6 Discus, and get some cories and another BN. Thanks for the advice.

samir
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 11:55 PM
cories and bristlenose seem the best option, you could toss in a few cardinal or rummy nose tetras. you could also toss a couple bristlenose in the sump as well.

Tom88
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the advice :)