PDA

View Full Version : Breeding advise - keep eating eggs

kj2006
Sat Jun 30, 2007, 05:11 AM
Hi all, some time ago I purchased 7 juv discus, these are in a 5x2x2 with a few smallish tetra and BNs. Any way I was planing on keeping them in there until they pair up and then remove pairs whenthey pair up and put them in a breedind tank to have a go at breeding them Any way stage one has worked I have a pair, Now for state 2, they are regulary laying eggs every 3 or so weeks but they keep on eating them - I'm pretty sure it is them as I never seen any other fish near and I'm pretty sure I spotted one of them doing it. My question is, Is this something they will grow out of, they are only young? Should I remove them any way and see how they go, is there some way to protect the eggs in the tank, would hanging a bit of netting over them do until they hatch?? any advise welcome.

Here is a pic, not very clear but you can see the eggs in the background.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/kjw2004/100_2244.jpg

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 30, 2007, 08:51 AM
I'd give them their own tank, most young fish eat their first few spawns, but with their own private tank they will feel more secure and you'll have a better chance of getting wrigglers.

sponge2
Sun Jul 15, 2007, 09:51 PM
Hi i have nine pairs in my fish house. They can only see out off the front of the tank as the rest are painted, this gives them more confidence . I normally place the pair in breed tank on there own and let them lay five or six times and if there is no progress, i use a cage for one or to lays to see if they get the jist.