PDA

View Full Version : Creating the "Black Water" effect.

Bald_noggin
Tue Jun 26, 2007, 11:18 PM
Hello everybody,

I'd like to know what is the best way to obtain the look of black water and what other people use to get this effect.

I have not had much luck tracking driftwood that will leach tannins into the water. I have used the bottles of Aquasonic Blackwater Concentrate but I find that it does not quite darken the water enough for the effect that I'm after.

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Col.

DIY
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 12:01 AM
Every piece of driftwood I've ever bought has darkened the tank, maybe your LFS sells driftwood that has been pre-treated better so the tannins are already leached?

The last driftwood piece I bought for a b/n growout tank was marked as "grapevine" I think it's a vine root and it turned a 200L tank a weak tea colour in about a week.

Maybe try a different LFS?

Kingkat
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 12:08 AM
Col, Try boiling up some cattapa leaves and make a tea to add to the tank. That give a really nice blackwater colour and fish from blackwater areas love it too.

Proteus
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 12:41 AM
If you cant be bothered boiling Terminalia Catappa leaves, get the miracle leaf bags from Ben - http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1271.htm

I have used these in the past and they do a great job at darkenning and softening the water.

fishgeek
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 07:03 AM
garden store and get abig bag of peat moss

will then be able to make as much blackwater as you wish ...
ensure it is not fertilised peat with any added nitrogen

andrew

ILLUSN
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 07:46 AM
when using garden peat moss is there a specific type to use. most garden peat here in oz is either coco peat (from coconuts) or sedge peat from wetlands. i use german spagnum peat for my carnivorous plants. is this the type you use in the UK Andrew?

Robdog
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 01:25 PM
The Sera Super Peat is pretty good and only around $10 a hit.
Other than that as far as liquids go, the JBL blackwater extract seems to be super concentrated and always made a big colour difference to my tanks.

Bald_noggin
Wed Jun 27, 2007, 10:24 PM
Thank you to everybody for their input. It is greatly appreciated.

I have found some SERA Super Peat at one of my LFS. I have deceided to give that one a go.

Next challenge is to get the right amout of peat for the desired effect.

Thank you all again.
Col.