PDA

View Full Version : free swimmer sticks as a few bunch

discus2007
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 01:35 AM
hi all,
hope someone can tell me.
today is the 1st day of free swim stages. all the wrigglers swim around the tank, some stick to the parents, but i notice a few bunch of them stick together and float on the top of the water surface, is that normal ? about 5-7 in a bunch. should i break them out or what ?

thanks.
t.k

the german
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 09:37 AM
sometimes the sticky things on there head(sorry dont know the english word for it :oops: )still works on the first day of free swimming should be gone after a few hours.

scott bowler
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 09:45 AM
what german is saying i think is that fry have a sticky slime on there heads so they stay in place when on the cone or glass ,but after a few days it will go away and the fry free swim to the parents .so to anwer you ? no dont break them up they will be ok.and they will find the parents or not just have to wait and see

samir
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 10:11 AM
leave them alone, they get stuck to rubbish in the tank, they will be okay. next time try keep the tank clean. :D

discus2007
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 10:39 AM
thanks all,
yeah when i get home today, all clear......but not all of them follow the parents, I guess taking time again ?....is it normal that a bunch sitting at the bottom of the tank and once a while swim to the parents eat and then swim back to the bottom ?..

thanks

samir
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
if they are hanging out at the bottom they will probably die. not to worry you'll get plenty of opportunities. your fish should spawn once a week.

discus2007
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
thanks samir,

guess what this is interesting, the female actually lying on the side nearly flat down so the ones on the floor can eat the mucus of her....very fasinating watching. look like most of them just hang around the parents now so might be in luck....finger cross :P

samir
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:29 AM
how long has it being lying on its side ???

discus2007
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:43 AM
oh just enough time for the male get back then she sit up and swim away and catch others and spit back to that spot.....is it normal....but now a lot start to swim around them now...the male not lying on the side but sit close to the floor so others can reach...

scott bowler
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 01:25 PM
its normal for the parents to pick them up and spit them back on hehe it souds like they are good parent s welll done. how about some pics

samir
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 04:31 PM
give them another day or two and they'll attach, if they're still on the floor they will perish

discus2007
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 08:53 PM
hi guys,
good news 99% attach now this morning, still a few wondering around the tank, but the father still try to catch them. i thinking everything back to normal now....my camera is not very good, trying to get another one. so at this stage no pic yet....

samir
Thu Jun 21, 2007, 12:33 AM
good to hear, hope to see pics soon :D

Merrilyn
Thu Jun 21, 2007, 07:48 AM
Great news. Sounds like you're well on the way. :P