PDA

View Full Version : Discus not laying eggs on the triangle thing

nono
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 04:42 AM
Hi,

My discus finally laid eggs again after so many months. I have bought the triangle object for discus to lay their eggs on, from the LFS which specializes in discus. However, my discus always lay her eggs on the tank bottom. I have seen the pair cleaning the tank floor and even the filter to prepare for egg laying, but never the triangle. Why is that so? The object is made of ceramic I think.

Thanks.

the german
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 07:39 AM
on the bottom you say,thats very unusual,the triangle thing is a breeding cone i think :wink: .
some discus are so over breed that they forget their natural instincts and i think thats what it is in your case.
do you have some pics?

nono
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hi, actually my discus has laid eggs a few times. But they have always ate them. I have not successfully bred them before. In the previous occasions, my discus also laid eggs on the bottom. Presently, the eggs are still here, which means it lasted for about a day so far. I am keeping them in a dimly lit environment at the moment, and I have a lousy camera. So pics of the current situation is a little hard for me. However I have a pic taken of the male here http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9843&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

the german
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 03:09 AM
nice fish,maybe they are still too young,just give them time and practice and it can work,some discus are notorious egg eater than you can cage the eggs that helps sometimes,and everytme perfect water conditions helps aswell as dont distubing them.

michael

nono
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 07:56 AM
thks for the reply michael. So far, I can see that both parents are caring for the eggs. They are always blowing at it. Sometimes they turn aggressive to each other. It seems that the eggs have not turned dark, so i guess its not fertilized yet. The male is showing alot of concern to the eggs, so i wonder what is taking him so long.

the german
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 08:03 AM
that are all good signs m8,24 hr after they lay the eggs you should see a little black spot inside the eggs,then you know that they are fertilzed.

nono
Sun Jun 17, 2007, 02:58 PM
Yea, its been 48 hrs, still no signs of wrigglers...I only made to wrigglers once, I hope this time I could get pass that stage. The male seem to be also distracted by the female. Not sure whether should I put a partition to seperate them.

the german
Mon Jun 18, 2007, 09:34 AM
when they dont fight let them together,when they start fighting you can take one out,but only when the fights are serious.

nono
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 03:34 AM
Thks for the advise you have given me. However breeeding was once again unsuccessful.

Merrilyn
Thu Jun 21, 2007, 07:43 AM
Don't give up yet nono. This time they made it to 48 hours, so that's a big improvement over the last time they laid eggs.

They do sound like a young pair trying to work things out, so give them a bit more time. Some pairs take around twenty attempts before they finally get their act together. Then they can surprise you by turning into the best parents you could wish for.

Give it time, you're more than half way there.

nono
Thu Jun 21, 2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks Merrilyn. I can say that some eggs got fertilized, I could see the black dot. But they didnt wriggle at all. Most of the eggs turned white. Even so, I can see that the father is still very caring to the eggs. He cares for them alot more than the mom. The mom just seems to want to eat it. It suddenly occurred to me that the reason they were fighting, was actually the dad trying to prevent the mom from eating the eggs.