PDA

View Full Version : newb question:does instant mating also mean they've adapted?

clineb
Wed May 30, 2007, 10:26 PM
So, with the tragic loss of a Malboro red in my group of 4, I saught to fill the void to my keep group of discus tank members to...well...have enough to still qualify as a group :D

To avoid 'pecking initiation' from my not-so-kind 5 inch (alpha) blue turq, I picked up a 7-inch Green (not 100% if thats the proper strain name) discus.

He's been in the tank a few days, but really hasn't eaten yet (maybe ate a few blood worms after a feeding frenzy off the ground)...so I thought he needs time to adapt. Sure enough, I come home from work this afternoon to find him and the aforementioned blue turq (who is 2 inches smaller than him) participating in an egg-laying ritual against an upright aquarium decoration in the middle of the tank :shock:

My question is...would this mean my new guy has fully adapted to the new tank (i.e., ready to start eating and being active)?? Or is this action independant of the fact he's still getting used to his new home.

TIA!

Robdog
Wed May 30, 2007, 11:27 PM
I reckon its a pretty good sign. They probably wouldn't do it unless they were comfortable in their surroundings.

clineb
Sun Jun 03, 2007, 09:08 PM
Update: a fresh (and different brand) pack of bloodworms did the trick...boy this guy can eat a lot.

Thanks!

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:34 AM
Well done.

Sounds like he's very happy and healthy :P