PDA

View Full Version : bloodworms are bad?

dntx5b9
Tue May 08, 2007, 03:40 PM
I read this in a different forum and wanted run it by the experts:

Bloodworm are, IMHO and IME a lousy food... even young Discus should be weaned off junk food and onto high quality pellets immediately. Bloodworm is an insect larvae with an undigestible exoskeleton that has an annoying ability to compact in the gut of discus and cause infections of hex and other nasties.

Any truths to this statement?

Merrilyn
Wed May 09, 2007, 01:23 PM
Don't know that they can actually be accused of causing Hex.

True, it is the laval form of an insect (a midge actually), and as such would be available in the wild.

They do have a hard exoskeleton, but then so do daphnia, brine shrimp and mosquito lavae.

Too much of anything is not a good idea.

I my opinion, blood worms are a valuable part of a well balanced diet which consists good quality dry food and a variety of frozen foods.

the german
Wed May 09, 2007, 01:35 PM
i think that the hard exoskeleton is a essential part to help the digestion system of your your discus,especialy with all that beefheart.

DiscusEden
Wed May 09, 2007, 01:37 PM
I thought there was a lot of recent talk that they may be responsible for carrying & passing on parasites (worms, flukes)?

I'm very happy to be told this is not the case though....

Ben
Wed May 09, 2007, 01:38 PM
Something i have learnt is: there will always be a food thats bad in one way or another! Feed a balanced diet as variety is the spice of life!

Merrilyn
Wed May 09, 2007, 01:43 PM
I think that's live blackworms that you're thinking of DE.

They are thought to carry flukes.

DiscusEden
Wed May 09, 2007, 01:45 PM
OK. Thanks!

samir
Wed May 09, 2007, 02:09 PM
here's an article where bloodworms are mentioned
http://www.theveterinarian.com.au/features/article370.asp

this is what the vet has to say
“I remember one period when I was seeing a lot of fish with swollen abdomens and obstructions. The common link was that they’d been fed on some imported, gamma-radiated red blood worms. The exoskeleton of these worms was causing obstructions in both small fish, and large fish with a narrow intestines. Once I had worked out what was causing the problem it was obvious – I spread the word that certain fish could not be fed these frozen blood worms,” he says.

dntx5b9
Wed May 09, 2007, 05:35 PM
I am guessing discus is not one of those fish.

Merrilyn
Thu May 10, 2007, 06:47 AM
That's a great article samir.

Wonder if the fish mentioned were being heavily fed on bloodworms, or even exclusively on bloodworms.

I'm convinced a varied diet is the way to go.

samir
Wed May 16, 2007, 08:41 AM
Wonder if the fish mentioned were being heavily fed on bloodworms, or even exclusively on bloodworms.

probably would be the case. It seems to spread gill flukes but cannot be sure. Definitely causes bloating fed exclusively, so does Tetra colour bits. Beefheart seems to be the best digested food but went trigger happy with it and got one fish with hith, coincidence maybe.
my fish seem to do best on beefheart + sera granules + brine shrimp. sometimes i give them bream and flathead after I go fishing. They love it but I have to do a big water change afterwards. I also feed mysis shrimp but they don't like it too much.

herefishiefishie
Sat May 19, 2007, 12:12 AM
I have read is that these are collected from stagnant ponds. Therefore can contain toxins/chemicals that are harmful to fish species. Did mention especially Rift lake cichlids.

I know of 2 lfs owners who brake out in a rash when they just touch the packaging.
Induce allergic reaction in 30% of persons coming into contact with them{Liebers, 91}

Frenchy :D

samir
Sat May 19, 2007, 05:32 AM
I know of 2 lfs owners who brake out in a rash when they just touch the packaging.
Induce allergic reaction in 30% of persons coming into contact with them{Liebers, 91}
Frenchy :D

I think Wayne is one of them :shock:

Merrilyn
Sat May 19, 2007, 06:13 AM
Me too, and I do know of one other.