PDA

View Full Version : Ottos - Effective Algae Control? Pros and Cons

ikavia
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 09:24 PM
I have read arguments for and against ottos in regards to controlling algae and compatability with discus. Some state they don't worry discus, others say that they will suck on their slime coat.

Pros and Cons of control and compatability please?

Bald_noggin
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 10:59 PM
I once had a 'Sucking Catfish' that used to do that to my Angelfish many years ago.

It never used to bother them but one day I guess it got a tast for their slime coat as it would just not leave them alone after that.

I have had a 'Siamese Algae Eater' for some time now and it has not bother any of the fish. It does a good job on the algae however I also have to supplement the diet with boiled lettuce leaves because when it gets hungry, it does start eat the Anubis leaves. :(

My two cents. :)

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 11:43 PM
From what I've been told there are several types of "otto", some of these are great algae eaters and others attack discus, unfortunately most look the same to me, i've always had them in with my discus and havn't yet had a problem.

ikavia
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 01:37 AM
Are SAE the same as Siamese Flying Fox Sharks? LFS said they were

StonX
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 02:28 AM
From my experience. SAE tend to lose its interest to algae after some time. Otocinclus on the other hand, its the best cleanig crew I've got. It nevet bother the discus

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 07:14 AM
sae are often sold under flying fox but there are diffrences make sure the black stripe extends all the to the end of the tail not just to the begining of the tail (end of the body) thats the real SAE

Bald_noggin
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 09:38 AM
sae are often sold under flying fox but there are diffrences make sure the black stripe extends all the to the end of the tail not just to the begining of the tail (end of the body) thats the real SAE

I actually bought what was supposidly two flying foxes but one turned out to be a SAE. :D The FF was a meany so he went back to a pet store.

The 'sucking catfish' I refered to earlier, they also call a 'Chinese Algae Eater'

I hope this link is OK to post but at the bottom, it shows you what to look for in a SAE.

http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

ikavia
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 09:59 AM
Well I bought three fish today that are hopefully SAE. The pet shop had two tanks with SAE written on them one with the stripe going all the way to the end of the tail, the other with the stripe going to the end of the body but not the tail. In addition they had a flying fox shark which looked very similar! I asked the guy about the CAE and he showed me a catfish that was gold??? After explaining that I was very specific in wanting an SAE he said that they were actually sold to them as "Siamese Flying Fox Real" as opposed to the ones they were selling as flying foxes which came in as "Siamese Flying Fox". In the end I chose the one they said was an SAE with the stripe all the way to the end of the tail.

He also said that these were only good for hair algae. Well I have a very diverse range of algae so hopefully there is something in the brown, green and BBA that I have managed to cultivate!!!

Unfortunatelly my usual fish haunts were out of ottos this weekend :(

He also tried to sell me bristlenose catfish. I currently have a full grown male who is lazy and just picks up the dreg fish food. Would young ones be a bit more willing to eat the brown algae? He offered to trade me in on my big one (as two other small ones have died off and I suspect him) for a few small ones. What would be a good trade? I don't really want to trade him as he has become part of the furniture but then again I don't want algae!

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 10:03 AM
Young bristlenoses are very effective against brown algae, i believe it's their favorite, once they gat big all they want to eat is tetra color bits

ikavia
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 10:46 AM
I must be mean to mine as he is surviving quiet well (about 2 years) without any special food.

Just purchased new bulb! woohoo. Will keep you posted.

DiscusEden
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 02:39 PM
That's great ikavia - not the being mean part (although it sounds like he's doing fine), the new purchase part.

I suspect with ottos, that although some species may be more prone to sucking, it's also an individual thing - as said before, once they get a taste, they won't stop. Just keep an eye on them, and if it becomes a problem, remove them. Although this might be easier said than done.

Oliver
Sun Apr 22, 2007, 01:10 PM
i recently bought 2 Otocinclus as i had a bad brown algae problem. they have done a really good job of cleaning it up. i dont have any discus in with them so cant comment on that. but they leave my neons alone, and only very rearly chase my bronze catfish but the catfish dont seem very bothered by it they just go on about there business.

moneymike
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 04:49 AM
How many Ottos would you reccomend for a 245 liter tank? My bristlenose was doing the job sufficiently for awhile, but he may have gotten a taste for my Amazon Swords. Has anyone else heard of this happening? Some people say that bristlenoses will devour them, some say that is only if they are starving....

ikavia
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:41 AM
My bristlenose doesn't touch my sword. He doesn't really damage any of my plants. But that being said I am convinced he killed my other two bristlenose - so he'sno angle!

Davo
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
I have had otto's for years and they have never bothered my discus. I rarely see them on plants as they mostly stick to the fine algae on the glass.

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:53 AM
I've had Bn's eat swords in the past, usually it's once the older leaves get some algae on them. they just rasp and rasp at the leaf till all thats left is a skeleton (they do this often to my apart), they do seem to have a tase for my ozolets (green, red, green flame and red flame) but generally not a problem. as for ottos stocking i go 2 per square foot of tank bottom (ie ottos 8 in a 4x2 foot tank)

moneymike
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll keep my plants algae free now. That shouldn't be so hard now that I've got a CO2 system running. Maybe I need to feed him some cucumber from time to time. Last time I did it (boiled it first), he didn't eat the whole piece, which wasn't too big.