PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a background

glo
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
I have a planted tank and the glass at the back is painted blue. I was thinking of re-painting this black, sticking some black cardboard onto the back or buying one of those pictures of a planted tank for a background. The tank will be against a white wall, so I'd prefer to have some sort of background so you don't see all the wires etc. Any suggestions? I also would like to know the best way to remove the paint from the glass.

ikavia
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 09:43 PM
I originally had a blue plastic film background, however turned it over to the black side when I went to discus as I wanted a change. I found that the effect of the plants against the black background was very dramatic and I liked it.

However a few months back I found some info out on a moss wall. After receiving Java Moss from a kind forum member and scabbing some plastic mesh from a wholesaler I constructed my wall. However the moss didn't grow much and I got sick of looking at the mesh - so pulled it out last night! Don't worry I saved the moss and attached it to a pot with fishing line as a decoration. However I think the problem was the type of moss. The pictures I saw appeared to be Christmas moss, which people have advised me is illegal to import into Australia...

Anyway to get to your questions:
1) Paint removal - assuming it is oil based... not sure if you can buy some sort of chemical solution or if turps or something might work on the glass... maybe ask your local hardware shop... or alternatively you might be able to carefully scrape it off with one of those old fashioned razor blades... shouldn't scratch the glass if done carefully on an angle.

2) Personally, I think the plant patterned backgrounds are tacky. I'd go for the black. I read somewhere that Discus found green backgrounds "calming". Sounds a bit new-age for me... but either way I wasn't able to fund a green plastic film and didn't want to paint my tank..

3) I really like the look of those foam textured back grounds too - although pricey...

Not sure if any of this is good advice but gives you something to think about!

glo
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 11:07 AM
ikavia,

thanks for the reply. i think i'll try for black background.

Bald_noggin
Wed Mar 28, 2007, 02:50 AM
Hi Glo,

I too toiled with ideas for a background for my new tank (See http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11707 )

I ended up using tile paint for bathrooms and ktichens. It has a plastic sort of feel to it. A 500ml tin did my tank perfect. I did, from memory, 5 coats all up. You need to do several coats to bult it up as one won't be enough to stop light coming through from behind which may spoil the effect you'll be after. Also, don't put it on too thick, it will run.

As for removing the paint, try ikavia's idea of using a razor blade. The best ones to use are the ones you find in stanley knifes. They're only sharp on one side and are also pretty ridged so they won't flex. I used them to remove excess silicon from where I painted the back of my tank.

Rastoo
Wed Apr 04, 2007, 02:51 AM
After previously having a painted blue background, I decided on my new 4' tank to use black builders paper. This was very cost effect and not glossy.

ikavia
Sat Apr 07, 2007, 09:31 AM
After seeing the suggestion on tile paint I decided to buy some today. I think it was about $30 for 500ml tin. I went with a dark greeny colour for something different. It is called Plasti-Kote tile finishes and it doesn't need a primer.

There is another product that you can buy that is basically a bonding agent that allows you to paint onto any surface including glass with any paint that you like. I could have gone with that for $16 for 500ml and then got a sample pot of any colour, but I liked the idea of the tile paint as it was described as having a plastic finish, which I thought would be good for the tank where it will come in contact with water now and then.

I am currently experimenting on an old tank lid so will let you know. I've only done two coats at the moment and it is obvious I will need to do quiet a few more.

Bald_noggin
Sat Apr 07, 2007, 10:15 AM
That's the same stuff I bought. It's good but as I said and you have noted, you'll have to put on several coats. I think I put on 5.

I used a 4 inch roller to apply it onto the back of the tank and it took about 4 days to do it all. You can do it a bit quicker but I was not in rush to get it done.

I think that is also a better paint to use as when I did a couple of test patches, it was really easy to get off with a stanley blade. It sort off rolled together and not turn into dust as most paints do when they are dry. It's good in case you change your mind later on down the track. It's not going to be hard and too messy to remove.

I would like to see the tank when it's done. Sounds like it will be good.