PDA

View Full Version : It's here!

Bald_noggin
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:58 PM
At long last, my new tank has arrived. It's a 6x2x2 foot.

I'll be taking my time doing this one. My last tank was a 3 foot with a sump filter and CO2 injection. I had also created my own background using the foam/peat/sand technique which I thought, worked rather well.

On this one, I'll be just painting the back of the tank black, using substrate heating and eco complete for the substrate. I already have a Dupla Reactor S that I bought some time ago and I plan to install this in the trickle filter system along with a pH controller.

Now, when it comed to lighting, I'm working on a figure of about 300 Watts. I've been thinking about a 8x39W T5HO fixture or a 2x150W MH with 2x54W with 3 moonlights. I'd expect that the fixture with the MH's would not be a good idea with a hood installed, but what about a 8x39W. Hood still not recommended? My biggest concern is heat and its dissipation.

:D Any comments would be greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers,
Col.

P.S. Excuse the poor quality photo's. They were taken with my 2 Mega Pixel Phone Camera. :lol:

Bald_noggin
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:47 AM
Ummmm, anyone? :?

Now, when it comed to lighting, I'm working on a figure of about 300 Watts. I've been thinking about a 8x39W T5HO fixture or a 2x150W MH with 2x54W with 3 moonlights. I'd expect that the fixture with the MH's would not be a good idea with a hood installed, but what about a 8x39W. Hood still not recommended? My biggest concern is heat and its dissipation.

:D Any comments would be greatly appreciated. :D

Ben
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:53 AM
Its going to look awesome mate!

I would go the high output T5's.

scott bowler
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:03 AM
thats awesomeBald_noggin you can do so much with that its a good size just dont go salty no mater what ben says hehe go the discus
y

Bald_noggin
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the tip Ben.

I (or we, including the good wife), will have it stained in the next couple of days so it will fit in a bit better with the rest of the furnishings of our lounge room.

I suppose if I go with the T5HO option, at a later date I can replace the ballasts with some dimmable ones.

I have seen the Giessman (I hope that's right) fixtures that simulate sunrise and sunset and also cloudy periods during the day. Fairly pricy units, but nice. I should be able to do similar but for about a quarter of the price.

Thanks again Ben. :wink:

Bald_noggin
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:15 AM
thats awesomeBald_noggin you can do so much with that its a good size just dont go salty no mater what ben says hehe go the discus
y

The only time salt goes with fish for me is when I have it for my dinner! I admire marine tanks, but it's just not for me.

My next door neighbour once breed chiclids but now has a nice 3ft Aquaone with 4 side plate sized discus. I had a discus one many years ago in my other tank and the wife just loves them so much. Yep, Discus for this one!

Bald_noggin
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:29 PM
It's on its way!

Davo
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:09 AM
I have read several posts that say that sump filtration and CO2 do not mix. It is apparently due to there being too much a water surface disturbance.

I am sure Proteus has had dealings with sumps and CO2.

Dave.

Bald_noggin
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Davo,

With this setup, there will be next to zero ripple in the tanks surface water, only the overflow and sump weir will provide any disturbance to the water allowing out-gassing of CO2 and in-gassing of O2.

Here's a link to a experiment carried out using 4 different setups, all using trickle filters, desgined to measure the loss of CO2.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-loss.html

I currently run a CO2 setup with my 3 foot tank and it has CO2 injection. A D-sized cylinder last me 5-6 months.