PDA

View Full Version : Snails Are they going to be a problem??

axl
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:11 AM
Hi,
i just recenetly puts some plants in my tank which i purchased from my lfs. I have just found out that i now have snails in my tank and want to no is this going to cause me problems. Do they eat plants and what are used for. My tank is now full of plants.
Cheers Axl

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:23 AM
they look bad and can nibble plants but are EXCELLENT at eating algae, when you have too many and they become unsightly add dwarf loaches too keep their numbers in check (smaller then clones and ALOT less trouble then Yoyo's)

axl
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:46 AM
thanks for the info, are they compatible with discus

nicholas76
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:14 AM
Axl,

if they are the little tiny ones that have hitched a ride on some plants

GET RID OF THEM!!

mate they will explode in population in due course. Snail rid will work . two treatments to kill of new hatchlings

post a pic if you can.

Xtreme
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 12:24 PM
We have actually decided that from now on the saying "Breeds like flies" is now known nationally in the aquarium industry as " Breeds like snails!"

Good luck keeping them under control. :)

duck
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 12:57 PM
I think snails are part and parcel of having a planted tank.
I found that to keep some sort of control keep on eye on how much you feed your fish so the lfet overs don't go to the snails,that way you snail pop shouldn't explode.

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:51 PM
I've never had a problem with dwarf's or yoyo's but it seems alot of people have had trouble with yoyo's, dwarf's are alot more expensive bout $16-20 each and you'd need a school of atleast 3

ikavia
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't recommend using snail rid in a planted tank. I had an invasion of snails courtesy of a plant purchase which over took my tank. Because I had not used the product before I removed the infected plants from the tank to treat with the snail rid as a test before adding to my aquarium. Sure the snails were killed but so were the plants. They literally melted from the chemicals and became a slush! From memory I think it was foxtail, which does look pretty fragile, so maybe broad leaf plants like anubias will be fine, but I wouldn't risk in a fully planted tank.